Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

This Is How An Investor Turned Around A Once Venerable Mutual Fund: Third Avenue Value Fund

FYI: Robert “Chip” Rewey was hired to turn around the Third Avenue Value Fund in 2014 after years of underperformance that was tied, in part, to a bad bet on Hong Kong real estate. The mutual fund rebounded last year after posting a loss in 2015.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-how-an-investor-turned-around-a-once-venerable-mutual-fund-2017-01-05/print

Comments

• Gosh. And just when Professor Snowball said "Goodbye to the House of Whitman." Wouldn't you just know it...
  • I really can't tell how the manager had anything to do with it given "value" in general performed very well in 2016. It's not like it returned 20% +
  • I just took a glance at its performance numbers, as well as Risk/Return profile. I don't see the attraction, either. I sold and re-deployed all my TBGVX (sister fund) in early 2009.
  • If the manager considers his fund to be an "all-cap world fund," then in that space, I would consider VMNVX to be far more attractive in terms of performance and expenses.

Kevin
  • Couldn't agree more. Quietly VWNVX has done very well since inception while only charging 0.21% expense ratio.