Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How to Stay Sane in a World of Crazy News

edited February 2017 in Off-Topic
How to Stay Sane in a World of Crazy News:

Life comes at you fast—these days, it seems, at the speed of light. ... The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and the New Yorker are just a few of the publications reporting post-election subscription bumps. .... "When threatened or apprehensive, we don't process information the same way ... It's good for short periods of time ... But to be in that state constantly is both exhausting emotionally and inefficient in getting things done."
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-16/how-to-stay-sane-in-a-world-of-crazy-news

Trump Team Fosters Fears He'll Adopt Alternative Economic Facts:
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-02-20/trump-team-fosters-fears-he-ll-adopt-alternative-economic-facts

Trump Says Remark About Sweden Referred to Something on TV - Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-19/swedes-scratch-heads-at-trump-s-suggestion-of-major-incident

Comments

• More margaritas. I'm going to be needing plenty.

Seriously, the guy is detached from reality and creates facts on the go. His associates are constantly scrambling to come up with new ways and means to describe that what you heard is not what he said or thinks. Even now his vp is in Europe trying to tell other world leaders that what he says is not really how he is. HUH!!!??? The dude is seriously unhinged.
  • Agree @Mark and the other scary thing about this is he seems to have everyone in congress, accept McCain, scarred sh__tless what he might say about them in his tweets if they dare to have a voice of their own. I fear he has the House and Senate right where he wants them.
  • Hi @hank , et al.
    I've had this info blip sitting for a few days, but will post the link in this thread.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/320320-report-trump-administration-eyes-changes-to-trade-deficit

Hold Harmless Agreement: For informational purposes only. Not an endorsement. The accuracy of the information should be verified from other sources, as necessary and/or available.
    With reading this statement, you have electronically signed my "hold harmless" agreement.....
  • @MikeM- Completely agree with you.

Regards- OJ
  • @catch22- Just another version of alternative "facts", yes? Down the rabbit hole we go... "Off with their heads", shouted the Trump.
  • edited February 2017
    @Mark. Easy with those margaritas. Damn near killed me about 20 years ago. Ain't messed with them since.

However, have developed a recent predilection for Mexican beer (Corona &Modelo). Think it's got do with all the talk about a wall.:)
  • He's already adopted many alt econ facts, predicating his whole econ shtick on growth rate that will never be achieved. Where they been?
  • edited February 2017
    In all fairness, he's hardly the first president to try that old carny come-on. It's kind of expected as normal presidential behavior. Let's see now, there was trickle-down, chickens in every pot, the Great Society... might be interesting to go all the way back to the beginning to see the many historical variants on this one.
  • nah, not fantasy like this, really

I posted this in another discussion but can't recall

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2017/02/18/trumps-rosy-scenario
  • Evidently need to be a NYT subscriber to access that.
  • edited February 2017
    @OJ - I don't think so. But try googling the first sentence or so and should come up somewhere. I find the NYT one of easiest to access. But they do say they limit you to a set number (per month?)

Here's the opening lines from David's linked article:

"The WSJ reports that the Trump administration’s budget planning assumes very high economic growth over the next decade — between 3 and 3.5 percent annually. How was this number arrived at?"
  • edited February 2017
    @Hank- might be my browser, but all I can get to is a NYT log-in/create account page, which is unresponsive.

Add- It's weird though- I can and do access many news articles and can get to the paper itself via news feeds, but not to "blogs" like Krugman or David Brooks. Go figure...
  • With respect to local conditions, trying to reason with Dex may constitute a working definition of insanity.
  • There was a thread on here just the other day about NYT access being cut off.

No more freebies for you readers
  • Hi John- yes, they give us ten freebies per month, but it's odd- sometimes they seem to lose count. But as I mentioned, I can't get access at all to the "blogs"- that seems to be a different setup.
  • Clean out the cookies & see if this will game the ten views.
    Derf
  • @Derf- good idea! Will give it a try.
  • edited February 2017
    Old_Joe said:

With respect to local conditions, trying to reason with Dex may constitute a working definition of insanity.

Totally fictitious and hypothetical example of course. Since the real Dex is no longer allowed to post here.

Good one OJ!
    :)
  • Hard to offend a mythical entity, yes? :)
  • edited February 2017
    @OJ, and everyone else,

Please just open Chrome or Firefox or Edge in incognito or private or inprivate mode, and paste the link in there.

You can read a few like that.

After that, considering sending them some money.

I can send or post PK's whole article as text if desired. The point simply is that all of the growth projections are fantasy-based. The column was seriously data-based and historical, as usual.

OT, DHardy is trying to be more civil, which should be appreciated.
  • @davidrmoran- that's a really good idea- the next time that I have a problem I'll give it a try.

I did manage to read Krugman's blog, though, through a totally different entry point. Some weeks ago I allowed the NYT "Opinion Today" editor permission to send a daily email with suggested reading. Today's contained linkage to Krugman's blog, for whatever reason. Go figure.
  • edited February 2017
    Speaking of sanity, I've been getting my regular dose watching S. Cobert's opening monologue every night - which is a sad commentary on the state of affairs.

However, I'm grateful that that TV show he watched the other night wasn't the one about a fleet of Soviet ICBMs heading in our direction.

EGads!

• Simple answer ... avoid the press and just check this site each night for updates/links. Censored to be polite ... and yes, it's a pretty nifty resource. :)

https://whatthef--kjusthappenedtoday.com/