Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

AI-Controlled Jet Fighter Defeats Human Pilot In Simulated Combat

edited May 11 in Off-Topic
Story

We humans are becoming obsolete.

Comments

• Gulp!
  • The Controlled part of AI-Controlled is quite a wrinkle. But I have concluded that, with AI, we might invent war in which no soldiers die. Only innocent civilians would be in danger of being slaughtered. I say slaughtered because the best AI control might have a mission of "to win the war". Without human emotion, at all cost? Interesting.
  • edited May 12
    d
  • Not too different from a certain war now in "progress".
  • @Old_Joe : Would you be referring to the use of drones ?
  • edited May 12
    "a mission of "to win the war". Without human emotion, at all cost"

@Derf- I really don't want to start a potentially divisive situation on this, but I was rather thinking of the terrible situation in Gaza. The entire area turned into a desert of destruction that will take many years to make even barely livable. The wholesale murder of non-combatant women and children. Yes, Hamas "started it"... or at least opened this chapter of the long sad book. In considering this book it's important to remember that there have been a lot of earlier chapters that have slowly but steadily built the story to this point. But the reality is now surely "without human emotion, at all cost".
  • edited May 12
    My earlier first thought was Hiroshima (and later Nagasaki). We killed the dirty rats. Ended the war. But at horrific cost to civilians.

War is a bummer. Imagine if all the money spent on such (not to mention human sacrifice) could be turned to the betterment of mankind. Too logical to ever be accepted. Maybe on another planet elsewhere in the universe? But I think it unlikely.