Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Good Time to Look at Apple and Other Growth Stocks That Pay Dividends?

edited May 11 in Other Investing
“'While many investment strategies have lagged the tech-heavy S&P 500 and Mag 7 stocks over the past year,
high dividend growth and high free cash flow has kept up,' Chris Senyek, chief investment strategist
with Wolfe Research, wrote in the report
."

“'Dividend investing is an attractive long-term structural investment strategy, it’s tried and true,' Ben Kirby,
co-head of investments of Thornburg, wrote in an email to Barron’s
. 'It tends to generate attractive returns and,
in many cases, better returns to the overall market, usually with less volatility
.'”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/it-s-a-good-time-to-look-at-apple-and-other-growth-stocks-that-pay-dividends/ar-BB1lUCXX

Comments

• On a related note, M* recently published an article regarding tech stock dividends.
    https://www.morningstar.com/stocks/tech-stock-dividends-are-changing-face-dividend-growth-investing?
  • This ought to be a fun thread. Something about dividends seems to get some folks animated. :)
  • edited May 11
    WABAC said:

This ought to be a fun thread. Something about dividends seems to get some folks animated. :)

It usually does over @ Bogleheads. :)

As a dividend investor I don't really care about dividends that are 0-3.0 yield. So what if Apple pays 0.55%? IMO that's not worthy of a 'dividend discussion' other than noting it's a tech company paying *something*. Whoop-de-doo. I'll stick with well-covered dividends from traditional sources, most of which are 'value' companies.

Dividend investing is supposed to be boring. Growth investing, by its very nature, is anything but.
  • And rforno throws down the gauntlet !!!

Let the joust begin!
  • @rforno. I think you have articulated something that resonates with me as a retired person…it’s not necessarily the dividend that I appreciate or even need but the boring ride. When I compare funds and ETF s I now pay more intention to the worst year and max drawdown. Boring is good.
  • @rforno ,a divi gives a company inclusion into a fund such as VIG, a dividend growth fund for folks who don’t rely on that fund for its dividend. I view a dividend as a statement regarding a company’s stability of cash flow. Personally, except for a pure growth sleeve, I prefer funds which throw off distributions.
  • edited May 11
    @larryB,
    I consider multiple criteria when selecting funds.
    These criteria include expense ratios, quality of management/analyst teams, investment firm behavior,
    trailing returns, max. drawdown, and worst year.
    As I approach retirement, there is increased emphasis on max. drawdown and worst year statistics.
  • edited May 11
    As a bystander, I find a thread like this infinitely more interesting and entertaining than whether or not to buy Mr. Fox’s fund over somebody else’s. :)

(That’s not to say one is more meaningful or valuable than the other.)
  • edited May 12
    The first thing I look for is what is wrong with the article. This one is pretty easy.
    mmm...since div investing hasn't worked for so long let's mention the top tech companies with Divs.
    Well, the top 10 tech in QQQ are about 47%. QQQ pays under 1%...no need to look further.

The tech giant's great performance had nothing to do with Divs. Did GOOG, NFLX, AMZN ever paid divs?
  • And the joust is officially underway !
  • edited May 12
    Old_Joe said:

And the joust is officially underway !

Not in it for a fight, but cue the Star Trek fight music anyway! :)

• I would think high Div (growth or not) ought to be looked in conjunction with debt levels. Many companies are still paying low interest rates on legacy borrowing which may come up for refinancing / repayment
  • All of these thoughts are true and belong in a useful matrix which should be consulted before deciding to buy. Another message board features a woman (retired) who insists that her holdings show pristine balance sheets and a div. yield of at least 3%. She's a smart one.
  • "Another message board features a woman..."

There's other message boards ???
  • Old_Joe said:

"Another message board features a woman..."

There's other message boards ???

Hee hee hee. I got banned. The one who hosts it is a Poot-butt lover.