Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* now going botty?

A current selection of article titles from M*'s earnings section:

Is Home Depot Stock a Buy Going Into Earnings?
Is Coinbase Stock a Buy After Earnings?
Is Palantir Stock a Buy After Earnings?
Roblox: Weakening Engagement Weighs On Growth
Energy Transfer: M&A Drives Guidance Increase
Arm: Shares Fall as 2025 Guidance Disappoints
Is Microsoft Stock a Buy After Earnings?
Is Alphabet Stock a Buy After Earnings?
Is Amazon Stock a Buy After Earnings?
Is ServiceNow Stock a Buy After Earnings?
Is Berkshire Hathaway Stock a Buy After Earnings?

These clickbaity titles are very Buzzfeed-y and not something I'd expect to see from a reputable investing site. Heck, not even SeekingAlpha is that bad .... and frankly I'm finding far more useful information/discussions/ideas over there (esp in the comments sections) than M*. Glad I only paid a tiny fraction of the regular price to see what had changed in recent years - frankly I'm not impressed w/them anymore; in perusing their content this past month, they seem to have strayed from the things that used to make them more unique/useful in my mind and become just another retail-oriented investing news site no different than anyone else.

Comments

• ...just another retail-oriented investing news site no different than anyone else.
    No, it's worse than that. Closing prices take forever to update at the end of the day. They like to rehash old stuff, just with a bit of a change or addition.

Google "should I buy KO?" (Or any stock.) A Zacks rating will come up. Morningstar's product has pretty much sunk to that level.
    I continue to look at what's there, not for the value of the reporting; just to see which stocks or funds get mentioned. Many might still be new to me. Then I'll have to do my own homework. I do get PREMIUM, but don't pay.
  • edited May 12
    Same reaction here. Vast wasteland. After subscribing I was “entitled” to pull up that buzzy main page. Knocked it out so that when I click on M * now only a search page (fund related) pulls up. I do some free research on MarketWatch. Their buzzy stories are similar to those at M* if not worse,

Subscribe to & read Bloomberg, Barron’s, WSJ for serious insight. Recently cancelled the FT. I feel its coverage and quality have suffered - at least the online edition. Interestingly, if you search some specific stocks on M* you sometimes pull up a lengthy analysis. Decidedly mixed quality. Some pretty good.
  • Glad it's not just me.

@Hank, we have similar reading tastes. I also have come to appreciate the crowdsourced comments on SeekingAlpha as well -- many times there's more useful nuggets there from knowlegeable folks like us than the authors who are penning pieces for clicks and dollars there and/or for their own services.
  • edited May 13
    rforno said:

I also have come to appreciate the crowdsourced comments on SeekingAlpha as well -- many times there's more useful nuggets there from knowlegeable folks like us …

Glad to hear that. I’ve come across some excellent (wonderfully detailed) insights on SeekingAlpha when surfing the web for information on funds I was thinking of buying - especially CEFs. Not a subscriber. So have to clear search history to get back in,
  • @Hank. Agree. Seeking Alpha has value to me too. Hundreds of contributors,,,,, some of whom are excellent. And the comments are often insightful.