Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

“Given it has become such a distraction, we’re not going to ask Congress to pass the 529 provision.”

edited January 2015 in Off-Topic
A White House official noted today.......

A follow-up to recent posts regarding 529's.

Short article link

Secondary story linked within the 1st article, allowing a computer to be purchased with 529 monies; which currently is not allowed................duh? Maybe some of the emails to the D.C. crowd has helped turn on some brain cells.

Comments

• The man is a "wonder"
  • Did you expect them to say, "We were really stupid to even bring this up right now, so let's just forget the whole thing"?
  • Old_Joe said:

Did you expect them to say, "We were really stupid to even bring this up right now, so let's just forget the whole thing"?

I think they did.
  • edited January 2015
    :-)

It's a wonder they have any feet left to shoot themselves in.
  • You saw my post of the actual proposal details, right?

I do know it is more fun just to piss, though.
  • edited January 2015
    Yes, I did, and also found explanatory detail from other sources. Conceptually, it wasn't a bad idea, I thought. Politically, it was stillborn, and predictably so. As I've noted before: I voted for a politician, and I got a lawyer. Lincoln was good at both, Mr. Obama certainly is not.

What's the point of introducing a fairly complex proposal when it's guaranteed that the opposition will mis-portray it, you have absolutely no clout within what's left of your own party, and the average citizen either has no clue or will believe whatever 30-second headline Fox / Murdoch / WSJ will use to ridicule it?

Has Mr. Obama any concept of keeping powder dry for a challenge where there's maybe a faint hope of success?
  • Any news on taxing Roth IRA upon withdrawal?
  • >> What's the point of introducing a fairly complex proposal when it's guaranteed that the opposition will mis-portray it, you have absolutely no clout within what's left of your own party, and the average citizen either has no clue or will believe whatever 30-second headline Fox / Murdoch / WSJ will use to ridicule it?

Well, that is the question, isn't it. Do you have any thoughts on this? How to do this, how to make it a 'The point is ....' Is it all a matter of marketing / countermarketing? Meaning that is the way of the low-information future. I am perhaps not quite so cynical, but have no good thoughts and am not being (only) argumentative. Serious questions. All sides strive to elect a nonhatable prez?
  • edited January 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.