Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

refresh

I click on an open thread. I read the remarks that have been posted. I click on my “back” button to get back out to the list of topics posted. The yellow-highlighted number (the number of supposedly new and unread postings in each thread) still appears, as if I never looked at any of them. I hit “refresh” so that my beautiful computer’s memory might jog itself into the recognition that I have indeed looked through several topics already. The idea is to eliminate the highlighted yellow from topics I've already been through. It just plain makes it easier to spot the ones I've NOT inspected yet.

But somehow, instead of refreshing the list of topics in front of me, my browser (Moz. Firefox) takes me back into the most recent thread I’d been reading. WTF?

Comments

• Morn'in Max,
    What I do:

---read the write you have chosen
    ---then scroll upward....this may be a short or long distance, depending upon the length of the thread.
    ---once scrolled to almost the top (I stop when I can again read the "Categories" list)
    ---I then click upon "All Discussions....as this is my preference. This lets me view the whole list again, and the yellow flag is gone from my most recent reread.
    ---this pc uses IE9, but I suspect FireFox will react the same.

This is just my method of viewing the page(s)

This eliminates the "backbutton" task.

Give this a try.

Take care,
    Catch
  • I've noticed the same quirk, and follow the same procedure at Catch.

• When you use the back button, you are reading the cached page, you are not rereading a page from the web. That is why the read messages don't update to indicate you have read them, because you are viewing the cache as if you never clicked the link to read the discussion. That is why you can disconnect from the internet and read some of the older pages using the back button.

Because the vanilla discussions are embedded in vanilla as an iframe, when you use the back button, it doesn't register with wordpress that you are reading a cached page. It assumes you want a refresh from the last viewed page (other than cache).

So Catch's suggestion is the way to go.

However if you want to use the backbutton and the refresh to work the way you want you have to avoid wordpress and the additional menu options by using the non-wordpress link

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/index.php
  • Thank you all. I'll try to remember from now on that the computers are made for us to follow THEIR logic and preferences, instead of the other way around. I'm old fashioned. I truly believe that in the drive toward total and complete individualized customization, things have become more complicated, rather than simplified. I will attempt to remember to do things just precisely and exactly as offered above by Catch-22. Thanks, Catch.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'll have a look to see if its possible. Lots of time things don't work as hoped within the worpress embedding, especially with scrolling. It will probably need to wait for a few weeks before some other changes are made.