Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

delete

Comments

• Investing anymore than a trivial amount in a Chinese corporation must be regarded as aggressively speculative. Self-dealing would be expected and the gov't control and needs supercedes corporation interest. Mutual fund managers probably have more insight and more sources of information, and they can spread the risk.
    The comment implies all big corps are corrupt, but I hope at least some Western ones are less so. (Please don't deluge me with all the past decade's examples refuting this comment. I said "hope.")
  • The real tragedy is not all of us can work for non-profit organization. Then again, who knows if those are not "no profit for some lots of profit for others" situations.

Also see this, excerpted...

Local media reports have said the PetroChina probe appears to be targeting people who worked in the late 1980s at the Shengli field, the country's second-largest oil field by output and located in China's eastern Shandong province.

We can be certain when someone working at the company in 1980s being investigated, regardless of whether they were guilty or not, this is most probably politically motivated vs politicians having motivation they shouldn't really need to set things right.