Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anonymous Posters - you know you're not right?

edited April 2011 in Technical Questions
At least when I bring up apost it shows "Anonymous" followed by your handle (name).

Comments

• The anonymous post is a post without signing in. It preappends anonymous to the your name entered
  • Yes, as an anonymous poster, you can provide a name to include. Whatever you type in the name box is what gets posted.
  • I can now finally see a captcha code after I preview message. Its a work-around with this browser.
  • One important thing to keep in mind.
    anonymous posting does not sign you in.

If you don't "sign in" AND you post while not logged in
    1 - if people click on your name to view discussions that your are taking part in they will not see those discussions that have an anonymous pre-pended to your name.
    2 - it can however be found with the search box.

So, if you want people to locate you by profile-comment and profile-discussion, you will need to be signed in.
  • edited April 2011
    Hey Brad,

Can you force a login if the non-yet-logged in user has typed an existing user name. This will prevent silly mistake and also prevent impersonation.

I've actually started a discussion on this issue:

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss.php#/discussion/104/posting-without-login

BTW: I see you installed Reply To addon. I'm using reply to for this post.
  • BTW, after posting Reply to the Comment box at the bottom was not cleared. It contains the text that was just posted.
  • Apparently it was the automatically saved draft that was saved when I was composing the reply. Does this automatically saved drafts expire after a while or should I delete them manually each time?