Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Understanding MFO Risk Numbers

I've been using MaxDD and Ulcer Index frequently in making decisions to buy funds. The reason is I really want to hold them for long time and don't want to be "stopped out" when fund hits a bad patch.

However, I've been taking things at face value and something not adding up. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Take GTSOX for instance. I have waited to buy this for a long time. When it corrected a bit with the market I observed it. It tanked much more than the MaxDD number. Now I don't know how frequently MFO data gets updated, but let's leave that aside for a minute.

The fund has now recovered nicely. BUT, I have a question. Currently the MaxDD number in the Risk profile says -6.1% and this occurred 2015-9. A cursory examination of the GTSOX chart on stockcharts suggests this number should be higher - from over 10.6 to under 9.7. Moreover, I see another drop down 2016-3 not reflected in MFO tables which looks like from over 10.8 to under 9.7, almost 9.6, i.e. an even larger drop.

Can someone explain what I'm doing/seeing wrong?

http://schrts.co/wbPujQ

Comments

• edited April 2018
    Bumping up with the hope the barrage of Ted's link does not relegate my post to the bottom of the heap.
  • I looked up GTSOX at Schwab, without logging in. They show the best and worse 3 month period for each fund. From 6/2/11-8/31/11 the fund lost 10.42% and the best gain was 13.38 starting in 10/11. So I'm not sure what MAXDD is measuring either.
  • @Charles- Vintage Freak has a question for you... not sure if you noticed.

Thanks- OJ
  • beebee
    edited April 2018
    From the Portfolio Visualizer website (PV website), I created this graphic of GTSOX with its MAXDD highlighted:

Over a shorter timeframe (2014-2018): it appears that (-6.1%) MaxDD is correct:
  • Trying to keep this on the top of the heap
  • edited April 2018
    Thank guys. As usual, bee is pointing the way. The MAXDD since inception for GTSOX is -11.2, which occurred 9/2011. Our premium site computes risk and performance metrics for 21 display periods, including "Life" or since inception (back to 1/1960, as applicable). Most of the main site search tools only have metrics for 1, 3, 5, 10 and 20 year periods. So, in the case of GTSOX, the 5-year period is longest shown, and the MAXDD over that period is more like -6%.

Here's link to screenshot of full risk/return profile for GTSOX.

The risk and performance metrics are computed from total monthly returns.

We are about to go live with a much expanded database, thanks to a new global feed from Lipper. Ratings will include CEFs, holdings data, and much more.

Hope that helps.
  • I also cited drop 2016-3. That's 2 years back. Really appreciate if someone can look at the chart. It is important for me to know I'm not seeing things others aren't.
  • @VintageFreak,

The 2016 drop can be better observed by creating a 2016 -2018 chart shown here.
  • Aah..sorry. End of Month values. Thanks.