Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trump Deserves A Nobel Peace Prize

Comments

• Before we get too worked up...

We cannot deny the facts. Trump's bullying tactics have definitely had an effect. However, if reports are to be believed, the document signed by Kim is vague as to how he will disarm his nuclear arsenal. Now I'm even willing to give benefit of doubt something good will come out of this.

What we need to note though is this same tactic used with North Korea will not work with most of the world. Those clamoring for him to get a Peace Prize, will then need to be ready for a War Prize.

Hmmm....there are Razzies, why is there no War Prize?
  • edited June 2018
    Neville Chamberlain: "I do believe we have peace in our time." (*)
    GWB sign: "Mission Accomplished."
    45 tweet: "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea." (**)

Yeah, okay. Whatever....

(*) Not using the first part of the quote so as not to be accused of invoking Godwin's Law so early in a discussion.

(**) Clearly playing to the base, hoping it will clamor loudly and lobby for his much deserved No Bell Prize for doing no more than staging a ratings-generating photo-op that confirms what both sides already agreed to do anyway. (Though still it's more than his predecessor did by the time he got the award, i will grant you that.)
  • edited June 2018
    Thought this was better for whole world (Japan Korean China s. Asian countries)... This was much better than then when we have to worry every day about nuke missiles landing in Honolulu Hawaii or Japan.. Wonder how Obama also got noble peace by less substative accomplishments.... No president ever engaged in 1-1 discussions w dictatorships before
  • @johnN I feel the same way when I see 2 different CEOs get multi million dollar bonuses
  • No president ever engaged in 1-1 discussions w dictatorships before
    Not true @JohnN, try opening an American history book.
    Wonder how Obama also got noble peace by less substative accomplishments
    Trump has not "accomplished" jack-sh*t as of yet, other than a photo-op with a mass murderer. Numerous presidents have declared break-through negotiations with N Korea. Why would anyone think NK isn't bilking the U.S. again? In fact, what are the odds?

From my perspective, the right steps are being taken (once again), but I have almost zero belief for a positive outcome (once again). And if something does happen positively, aren't the Chinese and South Korean leaders the catalysis?
  • Stay on substance, stay on substance. WSJ to boot. And Max Boot to boot.

Some people change their minds in the face of evidence, I know from experience.
  • "I have no desire to read any articles by left leaning political hacks"

@bartab: Early on in this post I gave you some interesting comments from the following "left-leaning political hacks":
    • Breitbart
    • ZeroHedge
    • The Washington Times
    • The Washington Examiner
    • The American Spectator

(We're still waiting for your response to those comments.)

Excerpts from Wickipedia, with respect to Max Boot:

Russian-born American author, consultant, editorialist, lecturer, and military historian. He worked as a writer and editor for Christian Science Monitor and then for The Wall Street Journal in the 1990s.

Boot is the Jeane J. Kirkpatrick Senior Fellow in National Security Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations, a contributing editor to The Weekly Standard and the Los Angeles Times.

He identifies as a conservative, in favor of limited government at home and American leadership abroad. He strongly opposed Trump's presidential candidacy in 2016 and has been highly critical of the Republican Party.

Sorry- obviously just another left-leaning political hack.

• edited June 2018
    Never Trumper Establishment Republicans. No Thanks. Drain the Swamp. To be fair, there are not really any right leaning authors I appreciate when it comes to political views. They are all doing a sales job. I just really have little respect for Politicians and those who fawn over them. I find it very hard that people can possibly believe a politician, and that goes for either party. It is just filthy dirty. You tell me, how does Maxine Waters live in a multi million dollar home, own other properties, with a salary of 175k or whatever it is. Don't think she did much before. Come on. I make more than her, live near SF, two kids, and have a tough time. That is ok with you? They give a rats ass about you. But yet you love them. Amazing.
  • "But yet you love them."

Not in a million years. Any of them. Either party. I just lean towards the least rotten of what's available.
  • Exactly. I'll tell you, my wife listens to the political shows on TV in the early evenings. It's the same thing, over and over, for years and years. It is just switch sides, and say the same thing the others were saying 5 years ago. It is mind boggling. Nothing ever changes.
  • "Nothing ever changes."

For sure... except sometimes for the worse.
  • @bartab, you make >$175k and "have a tough time," and do you tell your two kids

"It's the same thing, over and over, for years and years. It is just switch sides, and say the same thing the others were saying 5 years ago. It is mind boggling. Nothing ever changes"

? Seriously? 2018 has few differences with 2013? Wow. Serious question.

I read that Waters's husband is a former NFL player and Mercedes dealer and successful businessman. Not that your mind seems open to new facts.
  • Cool. I’ll check him out. Yes, paying for kids college and getting two new lungs tends to make things a little tight. Not complaining though.
  • edited June 2018
    @bartab- I surely wish you well with your health and family. And maybe even a few new facts... and that goes for me too.
  • edited June 2018
    Ok, so her husband has done well. Doubt he made much in the NFL in the 60’s, but if your going to UCLA and Pepperdine you are pretty darn sharp. I see he got into government, that probably did the trick. My hats off to him, especially putting up with her.
  • so maybe next time don't post automatically cynical crap ???

>> It is just filthy dirty. You tell me, how does Maxine Waters live in a multi million dollar home, own other properties, with a salary of 175k or whatever it is. Don't think she did much before. Come on.

I just did tell you, or tried to. So now we can discuss changing minds and hearts, or something. You have been through a lot. Pass your strength --- and your flexibility --- along to those kids. Yes, I did see your inevitable dig at gov.

You need to hang some more with public servants. More modulating of viewpoints possible.
  • No matter how you feel about Trump, he's getting things done. I believe part of how he's being treated is a message to other outsiders who may be thinking of following his footsteps. Is he perfect, of course not, but his motives are understandable, believable. You understand your typical politician is primarily interested in re-election. Trump is saying, go ahead and hate me, I'm going to do what I said I'd do. America seems to like that.
  • edited June 2018
    "he's getting things done. " . . . He sure is, but not much of it is good.

"America seems to like that." . . . Not this American... speak for yourself, please.

• Elections have consequences.... I wonder where I've heard that before. I guess we'll see more clearly in 2020.
  • Here's the worst part, Obama got you Trump. Call it reversion to mean. Now Trump is compounding. Consider this: now Trumplike candidates are now getting elected throughout the country. It is becoming the Trump party. Oh the nigthmare! And just like a Bull market, we're just getting started. It has reached the point where Democrats have to pretend to be conservative just to have a chance. Winning
  • edited June 2018
    OK, I was wrong, she is a gold digger. Plus, she did have a few ethics violations by helping out a bank of which her husband was a shareholder. And for five years was named the most corrupt member of Congress.
  • It wasn't a violation, it was a 'matter'.
  • And her Chief of Staff fell on the sword. So she is all good. Wow.
  • "for five years was named the most corrupt member of Congress"

Five years! That better than the Warriors even. Do they give out some sort of plaque or trophy? Wait a minute... who exactly did the "naming"?
  • It doesn't matter. As long as it is in an article.
  • edited June 2018
    Sorry - Not following the thread very well. Certain I’m missing a lot. But just wanted to let everyone know that I’m gonna sleep really well tonight now that I no longer have to worry about them N. Korean nukes landing here.
  • @hank- it's not you... the thread became unraveled quite a ways back. :)
  • edited June 2018
    Old_Joe said:

@hank- it's not you... the thread became unraveled quite a ways back. :)

Should read: “It’s not only you. The thread also became unraveled quite a ways back.”:)

Regards
  • BrianW said:

No matter how you feel about Trump, he's getting things done. I believe part of how he's being treated is a message to other outsiders who may be thinking of following his footsteps. Is he perfect, of course not, but his motives are understandable, believable. You understand your typical politician is primarily interested in re-election. Trump is saying, go ahead and hate me, I'm going to do what I said I'd do. America seems to like that.

I think that is a reasonable summary. This underlies it, though (FRich NYmag):

Every move Trump has made and continues to make since entering the White House is so aligned with Vladimir Putin’s interests that there’s no longer any ambiguity to the charge that he is acting as a Russian agent. Whether he has been paid to do so, is being blackmailed to do so, or is simply a useful idiot is one of the mysteries we must hope Robert Mueller will unravel.