Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Separates Primecap Odyssey Growth From the Rest?

"The following is our latest Fund Analyst Report for Primecap Odyssey Growth (POGRX)." I own their aggressive growth fund and I am one happy camper. A Fund Spy report from M*:

https://www.morningstar.com/articles/878065/what-separates-primecap-odyssey-growth-from-the-re.html

Comments

• edited August 2018

That's right, be sure to credit Ted for anything he might have ever posted on this site. Because if you don't, he'll call you out for it as he did here. Some people are just so insecure & starved for attention these days it seems......

• @Ted - I guess 180 some people including me missed it the first time through.
  • rforno said:

That's right, be sure to credit Ted for anything he might have ever posted on this site. Because if you don't, he'll call you out for it as he did here. Some people are just so insecure & starved for attention these days it seems......

*Like*
  • An unfortunate side-effect of posting too many links is that many (most?) have switched to Discussions+ which means most of his links are getting ignored. Instead if there were fewer links (may be top three for the day?) that he thinks are truly the best/useful, I think a lot more will read and respond. Again, this is from someone who truly appreciates the effort Ted puts in day in/day out to get those links to us, but his efforts can be counterproductive if the large volume of links gets ignored. Another suggestion is that any link should be accompanied by your own perspective, not an excerpt from an article itself, about why/how it will be useful to read for this community. Ted is an asset to this group, but I really wish he focuses his energy/wisdom. He also seems to have a very good ability to pick investments, in a focused way (just a handful of positions, not diluting). Wish he translates the same focused approach to his links.
  • edited August 2018
    Exactly. Some folks just get in their own way, which can generate a horrific signal-to-noise ratio in terms of content being noticed when THEY post it. I sincerely appreciated some of the stuff provided in the daily linkfest before switching to the DiscussionPlus view. However, feeling the need to stamp feet and make it known that "I posted it first, nyah-nyah!" if someone duplicates a posted item (but didn't see it for one reason or other) is just childish.
    Kaspa said:

An unfortunate side-effect of posting too many links is that many (most?) have switched to Discussions+ which means most of his links are getting ignored. Instead if there were fewer links (may be top three for the day?) that he thinks are truly the best/useful, I think a lot more will read and respond. Again, this is from someone who truly appreciates the effort Ted puts in day in/day out to get those links to us, but his efforts can be counterproductive if the large volume of links gets ignored. Another suggestion is that any link should be accompanied by your own perspective, not an excerpt from an article itself, about why/how it will be useful to read for this community. Ted is an asset to this group, but I really wish he focuses his energy/wisdom. He also seems to have a very good ability to pick investments, in a focused way (just a handful of positions, not diluting). Wish he translates the same focused approach to his links.

• @Kaspa & rforno: Appreciate your comments, and will take your concerns under advisement.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • beebee
    edited August 2018
    Getting back to Primecap's success...@Mark and @Ted's original post...I'll use one of its holdings as an example for its success, BB (Blackberry).

Management seems to do a good/great job finding companies that have minimal downside risk while also patiently waiting for a potential maximal upside. This stock has required that kind of patience, but because it was bought at the right price management can wait out a company on the mend.

I believe BB will prove to be such a bet. Primecap Management holds 14% of BB's stock. BB can be found In funds like POGRX, VHCOX, VPMCX & POAGX.

BB News:
    blackberry-investors-panicking-needlessly
  • Ted said:

@Kaspa & rforno: Appreciate your comments, and will take your concerns under advisement.
    Regards,
    Ted

In other words, "thanks, but I don't care.":)

• POGRX is a core holding in my Roth IRA. Excellent fund and great management team.
  • JoJo26 said:

Ted said:

@Kaspa & rforno: Appreciate your comments, and will take your concerns under advisement.
    Regards,
    Ted

In other words, "thanks, but I don't care.":)
    Took a look at the postings past couple of days and you may be right. Back to Discussions+ I guess.
  • @MFO Members: Just because a post doesn't command any responses doesn't mean it has no value.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited August 2018
    B