Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Individual stock thread?

edited April 2012 in Off-Topic
I believe Max has mentioned Pfizer and I've noted Jardine Matheson, Brookfield Infrastructure (as well as the parent), Glencore and a couple of others. Curious if anyone else is holding specific names and would be willing to share one or two.

Comments

• Costco, COST, Visa, V, and Apple Computers, AAPL.
  • Apple, Google, AT&T, Pfizer, Cisco, Merck, J&J, IBM, GE Wal-Mart, Walgreen, Exxon, Chevron, OXY, Microsoft, HP, Motorola, Citgroup, JP Morgan, NISource, Edison International, Morgan Stanley, Wells Fargo, Oracle, Sara Lee, Kraft, Annaly, Century Link, Winstream, just to name a few large cap.
  • In addition to a handful of Ted's:
    Centerpoint Energy, Abbott Labs, McDonalds, Altria, Kinder-Morgan, Enterprise Products, Linn Energy, Targa Nat'l Resources, BB&T, Student Transportation, TAL Int'l, C.H. Robinson, Southern Co., Chimera investment, Frontier Comm.. Intel
  • Dividends not reinvested, SchwabOne: APA-Apache Corp, CBS, EP-ElPaso Corp, ELN-Elan Corp, HMA-Health Mgt, EL-Estee Lauder, PEP-Pepsico, VIAB-Viacom, WMT-WalMart, WTF-Weatherford Corp, mucho hated RIG-TransOcean. No comment. No rationalization. No discussion. Really. FYI only because I respect Scott’s contributions (among many other’s) to MFO. Rick
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks everyone for their contributions, some really strong and inspired choices and even without commentary, I still found the lists really interesting to see. Hopefully others did, as well.
  • Scott (and others): I didn't lend commentary to my selections because I feel that everyones reasons for owning any one individual equity position will vary. What I will say w/o regard to any one particular selection is that I have developed a business plan, if you will, whose principal objective is to deliver 10% yield on cost within 10 years of inception. A 10% yield on cost would mean that the portfolio would be approximately delivering performance as good as the historical total return of the market "via dividends alone". Note the emphasis.

In constructing said portfolio I initially choose to look at 8-10 sectors selecting 1-3 companies in each. All I was looking for were strong, stable companies with a record of stable dividends and dividend increases. Capital appreciation would be a nice kicker but weren't always counted on. The swoon of 2008 really helped in that area.

As it stands I am overweight in energy but I am comfortable with that. Current dividends from my utility holdings more than cover my monthly utility bills allowing me to continue to reinvest the leftovers for further growth. Ditto my energy holdings including my trucks fuel costs which are substantial but necessary to my field of employment. The rest of them - health, consumer discretionary, technology etc. - just add to the pile.

I am always looking for better opportunities such as good beaten down companies or good companies with better payout metrics or higher dividends but mostly this portfolio just sits there doing its thing and I leave my silly hands out of it.