Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Edward Lampert, The Hedge-Fund Star Who Bet on Sears, Is Unrepentant

FYI: He made billions for investors in his ESL Investments fund by bucking naysayers. At the storied American retailer, his instincts proved wrong.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.wsj.com/articles/edward-lampert-the-hedge-fund-star-who-bet-on-sears-is-unrepentant-1539796363?mod=hp_lead_pos5

Comments

• It seems that many of these type of bankruptcies happen after somebody takes over and assumes an impossible debt load, while taking money out of the company and selling off assets (Craftsman tools and Kenmore appliances, for instance).
    I don't know if this is the case with Sears; the environment is really tough for old-line retailers who depend upon physical stores. I hate to see Sears go; OTOH, I have not shopped in Sears for many years.
    David
  • until recently bought appliances at sears. Maybe it will continue to exist in some form. i thought radioshack also filed bankruptcy right? I still see them.
  • edited October 2018
    Maybe it will continue to exist in some form. i thought radioshack also filed bankruptcy right? I still see them.
    Filing chapter 11 gives Sears breathing room and protection for not being sued for not paying their creditors. They can restructure debt, which means people they owe money will likely get pennies on the dollar or nothing at all. Stock holders will get nothing. Bond holders may or may not get some payment. Assets or the entire company will either be bought by another company or, if they successfully come out of chapter 11 they can issue new stock for those believing Sears can some how reinvent itself minus the debt burden they once had.

I would guess Sears management had the goal over the last couple years of setting itself up for chapter 11 bankruptcy as opposed to chapter 7 where there would be no chance of restructure. It may have looked like management didn't know what they were doing, but their goal likely was not to be a great merchandiser again, but to keep itself in existence under the protection of bankruptcy courts.

Having seen all this take place with Kodak, the likelihood of reinventing itself after all this is slim to none. I wouldn't touch the new stock if issued at the end of this.