Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Your elementary-primer recommends for the not inspired or unknowing, into the world of investing

I'm making a list of books and web sites to promote towards the "why in hell would I want to be an investor" folks I know.
The target age range is mostly 25-50 years old, BUT needs to include the young ones, too. Some of the folks who will receive information from me are retired, but may pass along the information to their adult children and hopefully to the grand children. The could be named, "Investing for the unaware or the afraid"

The criteria, somewhat; by areas:

As an example, I can't be taking these folks into a 3rd year session of learning French; as they have not yet had the basics from beginning French, at day one. I need to keep this on the simple side in the beginning to maintain their interest. Yes, investing is a learning curve and an ongoing study; but I don't want them to feel overwhelmed and quit the journey. I anticipate not much better than a 10% survival rate, sadly.............

--- A budget and spending habits
--- Very basic overview of how the economy functions
--- Overview of investment types/descriptions, although the direction would tend towards mutual funds; as this would be the most common form available for most
--- The reasons for investing in a 401k/403b/Traditional or Roth IRA's

NOTE: Two items that I already have in place, is Ray Dalio, "How the economic machine works" (free, 31 minutes, Youtube); and "The millionaire next door" (spending habits, budgeting)......book.
I have not yet reviewed Youtube again; but there are indeed very useful pieces there; as well as Khan Academy.
I'm leaning towards online writes and video how-to to obtain the best results and temptation to read/watch and become involved by the folks I'll be contacting.

Thank you in advance, for more guidance towards meaningful sites/books at the elementary level.

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• edited October 2018
    @Catch22,

Thought I’d give your synopsis a bump to the Discussions + side of the board where it may receive more notice. Not qualified to address your questions as you’ve stated them, but would like to score myself on each for the value of self-introspection.

A budget and spending habits / Grade A (93%) Downright compulsive re yearly budgeting. A weakness for splurging on upgraded air travel & accommodations.

Very basic overview of how the economy functions / Grade C (73%) - Geez, Does anybody really understand it? I can read three convincing depictions by three highly knowledgeable “authorities” and come away with three different views. Brings to mind the old line about “the one-armed economist”.

Overview of investment types/descriptions / Grade B- (80%)
    I know quite a bit about mutual funds, having owned such for near 50 years - but little of stocks, bonds or ETFs and things like puts and calls - all outside my experience base.

The reasons for investing in a 401k/403b/Traditional or Roth IRA's / Grade A (95%) The reasons are pretty compelling.
  • Hi @hank
    Thank you for your notes.....
    Agree, that the budget/spending habits area has to be in control in order to help provide for some monies to be invested.
    I'm planning to do one final "get your s#*t together" towards family and friends, relative to investing some money as a habit.
    Take care and stay warm.
    Catch
  • Bill Bernstein’s “If you can”. https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf

Peter schiff had a video years ago, not sure how good it was.