Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Just some thoughts......

Hi guys!
Watch Korea for exports, i.e., electronics. GLFOX: read article on Europe. Bad things to say about Italy, Spain, France for this year. No surprise really with QE ending and all......and Dragi soon leaving. Also, saw everybody is now in love with EM for 2019. Kinda scary, no? Everybody says dollar will go down, so I guess that's part of the push for EM. Me? I'm sticking to the 500. I saw 130 stocks now trading at PE of 10. I like that better than EM, myself. As I still have cash to use this week, added to ROGSX on Thursday. Things just got too stupid no to, I think. FIDO is pushing muni's. Also says expecting 8% earnings growth this year. I feel about 2500 is fair value for S&P. With a little good China news, one at this time would hope the market could quietly and bravely rise. Also will add to FSHCX on weakness. With more people working now, I want to own this space.

After the mid-terms, FIDO says market is always up.....in next 12 months average 16% since 1946. Saying that and thinking this, we could be bottoming and base building.....for a time, say, 'til the flags fly and the steaks are sizzling on the barbie. And China is easing. This will be good for us.....will help the market rise and maybe the world. Also the thing that this one is now watching is semi's. They seem to lead the market.....so I've read sort of like a yellow light.....WARNING!

All the post babbling I've done herein is to say I do believe that the sun is rising on a new day. And '19 will be okay and I will be a buyer this year.......slowly right now, lol.......for what that's worth.

God bless
the Pudd
Happy New Year!!!!

Comments

• Good to see you back posting, happy new year to you.
  • edited January 2019
    @Puddnhead

Recalling that you are with Fido, perhaps a mix of health funds to vary one's exposure to different sectors of this vast area of choices.
    An overview for the past 5 years for these 3 Fido health related.
    Some overlap, yes; but one gets tech. and medical health with FSMEX.
    If you have not looked at holdings, FSMEX is here, and you may also check the other 2 fund compositions entering their tickers in the search box and selecting composition.
    Compare chart for past 5 years FSHCX FSPHX FSMEX OPPS, chart set back to 1999, but will give one the view backwards for 5 years or whatever time frame you want to view.

Well, anyway; some thinking out loud with this.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • edited January 2019
    Hi @Puddnhead: Thanks for posting your investment positioning thoughts. I'm currently focusing on emerging markets as I bought a little DWGAX ... fixed income as I bought a little PONAX ... the dividend payers as I bought a little INUTX ... and global equity as I bought a little TEQIX. All of these funds kick off an income stream plus they are a play on themes that I think has some legs over the next one to three years. In addition, I may add to my commodity strategy fund PCLAX as well. And, I continue to build cash in AMAXX as every two dollars in ten of new money goes here.

If my doctor said ok on the spirits then it would be Longneck Time!

By the way ... How's Duke?
  • Hi guys!
    Thank you, slick. If I remember, we own some of the same funds, girl. Good to hear from you.
    Again, catch, yes, I own all 3 funds just like you. I love healthcare.....overlap is of no consequence to me. Why? The boomers and full employment......party on, dude!

Hi Skeeter,
    On your funds: DWGAX, INUTX, and TEQIX......too many political problems in these countries.....Brazil, India, South Africa, Indonesia. For me, where I would really like to go would be Vietnam with the tariff shakeup and China's stimulating......to me they have much to gain. Columbia, yea, I looked at that fund but already have TWEIX and PARWX in the value space. Also TEQIX looks like a nice fund......seems conservative in that space. I have FMIJX which has been disappointing this year. PONAX I will also add to once this market scare is over.
    God bless
    the Pudd

p.s. The Dukester is now on a diet ...... at 100+ lbs. this lab needs to lose and he ain't happy. Trust me. lol.
  • edited January 2019
    Hi @Puddnhead:

The reason for these additional new funds is that once a fund reaches a certain size within its sleeve this requires a new fund to be added to the sleeve. For this reason DWGAX, INUTX and TEQIX along with PONAX are all new additions to their respective sleeves. This is one of the ways I control fund and sleeve risk within my portfolio.

I can understand your wanting to venture into Vietnam as it seems some production that was in China is moving there. However, I take more of a diversified approach toward investing as it seems money rotates pretty quickly these days. It also seems things get overbought very quickly with the machines positioning hot money that moves from place to place and again very quickly. For me, I'm looking for commodities to get hot soon as my commodity strategy fund PCLAX was up 3.46% this past week. This will only run so far though before it chills again. Not looking at it as a longer term venue like I am DWGAX, INUTX and TEQIX for the next one to three years. Currently, 2 of every 10 Dollars goes into AMAXX, 4 of every 10 new dollars goes into PONAX and the residual is split among DWGAX, INUTX & TEQIX plus a few others. My focus is to maintain my asset allocation of 20% cash / 40% fixed income / 40% equity and also build my income stream over time. And, as the hot money moves from place to place Old_Skeet has something positioned, by use of my sleeve mangement system, that most likely will benefit from this hot money movement as it moves from one asset class to another.

Thke care ... and, again ... thanks for posting your thoughts as I found them to be very insightful.

Old_Skeet