Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

IRS Will Pay Refunds During Government Shutdown, Official Says

2»

Comments

• Howdy folks,

Quit arguing with idiots.

Count the numbers - some 800K Federal workers either not being paid or furloughed without pay. However, how about the some 8 MILLION contract workers working either directly or indirectly for the gov't that are also laid off. These peeps will NOT get back pay.

Note how they're softened the shutdowns these days. IRS will still be processing your return and I'll still receive my social security check each month. I'd take it back to the old days - a shutdown as just that. NO NOTHING. No mail, no IRS, no SS checks, no nothing. Then we would stop seeing this idiocy. Same/same with starting a universal draft would end the wars immediately.

Or I can simply say they all those 9M odd people should have been planning for this because they make so much money in their gov't jobs.

Let's all play the Trumpian game of 'Let's blame the victims'.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

• Howdy again,

Actually, I'm back to my original call. Keep the gov't shutdown completely until Trump resigns the Presidency, had his offspring sterilized and publicly mutilates (look it up) himself on national TV.

Axshully, we'll probably have to resort to a nationwide general strike to force the Senate to convict his impeachment.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • "They will get a very big check"

From the article cited: "The affected workers could eventually get back pay once the shutdown is over, but that’s not guaranteed since it would require an act of Congress."

You seem more certain that workers will get back wages than the article suggests. Do you have other sources that support this level of confidence? Seeing as this is a mutual fund site, it should go without saying that "past performance does not necessarily predict future results."

https://www.sec.gov/fast-answers/answersmperfhtm.html
  • edited January 2019
    johnN said:

If they keep working..
    They will get a very big check once every settle and gov open again

Like it or not, many middle class families live payday to payday. (Sure beats being unemployed and on welfare). So not receiving their pay as promised by a certain date is for many a catastrophe.

Sniffing through other folks pockets & travel bags never looked like a very pleasant job to me - or one a younger person might aspire to. But we owe these folks looking out for our travel safety a big thank you. Looks like some are beginning to say, “Take this job and shove it!”

TSA workers quitting or calling in sick: https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/government-shutdown-winter-2019-affecting-travel

Miami closes one terminal: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article224260800.html

• edited January 2019
    My current supervisor chief (previously was big chief worked at small irs office in small town before) . He state had to deal same thing in the late1990s. Had to let go many people... Then rehired few months later once everything settle..he reassure us that things will be fine although . Many fed workers about 20% Not getting paid now..lots questions not many answers though
  • NO! NO! NO! It's not OK nor will it ever be. Try telling that to all the people who may be possibly evicted, foreclosed on, having their utilities shut off, going w/o food and medicine you name it. And not just them but all the millions downstream as rono pointed out all because one giant POS doesn't get his way. How is that even remotely OK?
  • What are you so worried about? Here's a real life example: one person with a big utility bill that's going unpaid due to the shutdown, and the utility company is just letting it slide.

$5M water bill, at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, DC.

https://wamu.org/story/19/01/08/the-feds-didnt-pay-their-5-million-water-bill-can-d-c-shut-off-water-to-the-white-house/
  • Uh oh... No bathroom break nor hand washing available... Dt shakes lots of hands yikes
  • edited January 2019
    Actually - I’ve heard he has a phobia against shaking hands. But than again - who would want to shake his?

Warning: Should you be brave and ever shake the ***‘s hand, just be sure you count your fingers afterwards.
  • edited January 2019
    I just partially paid tax 2017 deferred payments.. They irs do work but takes 3 wks to cash ck instead of few days.... Very slow... Sent ck 4 wks ago
  • edited January 2019
    "The last three weeks have exposed the lack of empathy of a billionaire President who shrugs off the struggles of federal workers who work paycheck to paycheck. Trump is clearly more concerned about a pet political project than his constitutional role of providing governance to all Americans. The House and Senate this week voted overwhelmingly to provide back pay to about 800,000 federal workers who are going without paychecks because of the partial government shutdown. But seven lawmakers — all House Republicans — opposed the measure. Those "no" votes came from Reps. Justin Amash (Mich.), Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Paul Gosar (Ariz.), Glen Grothman (Wis.), Thomas Massie (Ky.), Chip Roy (Texas) and Ted Yoho (Fla.). Another GOP Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.) said a government shutdown would not truly impact employees and scoffed at the idea that a federal worker would need their next paycheck to make ends meet. The GOP and Trump have lost touch with everyday people! Nearly 80 percent of American workers (78 percent) say they're living paycheck to paycheck." - Alt National Park Service

And this:

The government shutdown spotlights a bigger issue: 78% of US workers live paycheck to paycheck.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/shutdown-highlights-that-4-in-5-us-workers-live-paycheck-to-paycheck.html

They should all move.
  • edited January 2019
    Better max out on those s credit cards... Think 99% of us residents live pay check to paycheck whereas 99%of mfo participants do not do so (my prediction imho)... Have to plan much better.., either that or take a chance working for private sectors where the hrs are long no benefits and take higher chance of short notice termination and no unions involved.... I was laid off for three months before getting unemployment and I turn out OK... You have to work hard don't complain and keep going at it even though u don't see the sun lights at end of tunnel