Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trump Says He Wants Herman Caine, Former Pizza Executive, for Federal Reserve Board

edited April 2019 in Off-Topic
I guess Cain would join previously nominated Stephen Moore if this goes through Congress. Not a pretty future for Jerome Powell who’s been under relentless attack in recent days. These nominations appear designed to make his life as miserable as possible - since the Prez acknowledged just recently that he doesn’t have the power to fire him. Expect deep-pocketed right wingnuts to start airing expensive TV adds soon, similar to what happened during the Kavanaugh SC hearings. Any suggestions for “catchy” messages they might incorporate into these ads? Here’s couple possibilities:

- “Make moore dough while Herm and Steve stoke the oven.”

- “If you like your beer fire-brewed, you’re gonna love your hot new Fed.”

Article from the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/business/herman-cain-federal-reserve.html

Comments

• TedTed
    edited April 2019
    @MFO Members: Are Cain and Moore the Co-Managers of the Federal Reserve Conservative Fund?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Trump is determined to transform a serious and professional economic deliberative body into yet another Trumpian zoo. God help the United States.
  • Remember, "999". People laughed and he dropped out in the first round.
  • Four Senate Republicans signal opposition to Trump’s plan to put Herman Cain on Federal Reserve Board, all but sinking nomination

The Washington Post is reporting that "a swift defection of at least four Senate Republicans has all-but-doomed the chance of Herman Cain to win a seat on the Federal Reserve’s board of governors, serving as one of the most striking rebukes to President Trump’s personnel choices since he took office in 2017.

Sens. Mitt Romney (R-Utah), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) and Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.) all said they would oppose Cain’s appointment to the Fed. Republicans control 53 seats of the 100-chamber Senate, and losing the support of four members means Cain would need help from Democrats, which appears unlikely.

Trump in recent days has said he wants to add Cain to the Fed’s seven-member board of governors at a time when he has been repeatedly chiding the central bank’s leadership for their management of interest rates. Trump has also said he wants to nominate conservative economist Stephen Moore to the Fed. Moore and Cain are both vocal Trump supporters and have called for slashing interest rates to make the economy grow even faster."

When asked whether he was surprised by Trump’s consideration of Cain for the Fed, [Senate Majority Leader] McConnell responded: “Surprised? On a daily basis.”

(The preceding are selected excerpts from the Washington Post article, lightly edited for length.)
  • edited April 2019
    Thanks OJ - Interesting. Meanwhile, Moore was on Bloomberg this morning talking his case. I suspect he’s campaigning on the other networks as well? It’s hard not to become very cynical about all this.

Meanwhile ... another possible “fly in the (pizza) dough” ...

Federal Reserve Governor Lael Brainard on Thursday took a subtle swipe at Stephen Moore and Herman Cain, who are President Donald Trump’s presumed nominees for vacant seats on the central bank’s board ...

Without mentioning either, Brainard said the Fed favors “fact-based intellectually coherent arguments that are based on evidence, that are consistent over time.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/feds-brainard-makes-a-subtle-dig-at-cain-and-moore-2019-04-11
  • I'm wondering if the introduction of Cain is nothing more than a decoy to distract attention from the real threat, Stephan Moore. It wouldn't be at all beyond this White House to send out a sacrificial lamb, allowing Moore to be appointed while everyone is focused on Cain. I can hear it now:

• McConnell: "Well, we did our duty in blocking Cain".

• White House: "Well, that worked pretty well... we got Moore on without much of a problem".
  • hank said:

Thanks OJ - Interesting. Meanwhile, Moore was on Bloomberg this morning talking his case. I suspect he’s campaigning on the other networks as well? It’s hard not to become very cynical about all this.

Meanwhile ... another possible “fly in the (pizza) dough” ...

Federal Reserve Governor Lael Brainard on Thursday took a subtle swipe at Stephen Moore and Herman Cain, who are President Donald Trump’s presumed nominees for vacant seats on the central bank’s board ...

Without mentioning either, Brainard said the Fed favors “fact-based intellectually coherent arguments that are based on evidence, that are consistent over time.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/feds-brainard-makes-a-subtle-dig-at-cain-and-moore-2019-04-11

+1
  • edited April 2019
    @hank
    Thanks for digging this phrase from the write.

The below in bold is an excellent phrase that fits into so many locations throughout one's experiences in life's journey.

“fact-based intellectually coherent arguments that are based on evidence, that are consistent over time.” Thank you, Ms. Brainard
    To the phrase, I recall:
    I encountered walls and delusions from various directions in the business world from and among so-called leaders or managers who didn't know that they didn't know; during different time frames and within different business organizations. Tis indeed amazing that some companies/organizations are able to function with some amount of efficiency to survive. My observation is not singular.

Good evening,
    Catch
  • @Catch22- Actually, that should be "Thank you, Ms. Brainard"
  • edited April 2019
    Thanks @Old_Joe
    I miss the Selectric with the correcting feature.
    Truth be known, and really going off course for this thread, is that I took typing class in 10th grade to meet more ladies. Way before the Selectric was in public classrooms in my area.
    My statement does remain, for an excellent phrase she placed.
  • For sure!
  • edited April 2019
  • "Only the best people..." LOL
  • edited May 2019

So Much Winning! - TWO FOR TWO!

This article is currently running in The Wall Street Journal:

Trump Says Stephen Moore Decided to Withdraw From Fed Process
    Withdrawal comes after Republican senators raised concerns about Moore’s comments on women, personal financial issues and views of the Fed

WASHINGTON—President Trump said conservative commentator Stephen Moore withdrew from consideration for a position on the Federal Reserve board, the second of his would-be nominees to do so after Republican senators expressed concerns about the pick.

Mr. Trump on Thursday tweeted that Mr. Moore “has decided to withdraw from the Fed process.” The president didn’t say why Mr. Moore changed his mind.

The tweet came less than two hours after Mr. Moore told The Wall Street Journal and other news outlets that he would continue to seek the nomination, and after other administration officials and allies had indicated they still backed Mr. Moore.

Mr. Moore didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment on Mr. Trump’s tweet. But a public relations firm representing Mr. Moore released a letter from him to the president saying he was bowing out because of “the unrelenting attacks on my character have become untenable for me and my family and 3 more months of this would be too hard on us.”

(The preceding are unedited excerpts from the Wall Street Journal article, and the photo is from The Guardian.)

Additional- This story is also being carried by the following news sources:

The Washington Post: Link
    NPR: Link
    The Guardian: Link

• Snowflake. Stand up and take the beat down and abuse you richly deserve.