Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fidelity full view

Any one use it here in this forum? I have been using it since inception and love it.

I received an email, saying in the coming weeks the full view will migrate to a newer version. It also said that all Fido accounts will appear automatically, but non fido acccounts need to be set up once again.

https://www.fidelity.com/go/monitoring-your-financial-portfolio

Looking into details, the existing full view is managed by Yodlee but new full view is by eMoney (Full View is operated by eMoney Advisor, LLC, a Fidelity Investments company)

Call me crazy nut but as a precaution, I manually deleted my non fidelity accounts from Full view and left the default Fidelity ones there. I am just concerned when we move to new provider, the existing data of non fidelity accounts might stay there at yodlee. Maybe I am over reacting. Maybe eMoney uses yodlee under the hood, who knows!

Anyway, thats what I wanted to share.

Thanks for reading.

Mulder

Comments

• When Fidelity first started full view, I talked with their tech dept to ask whether Yodlee was providing the service or whether Fidelity was operating the system in-house behind Fidelity's firewalls. They told me the latter.

I'm not certain whether that is still the case. (I hope so.)

I also got Fidelity's email. I'm not sure what to make of the footnote on the page you linked to: "The new Full View will no longer support rewards points and bill management, balances and expenses calendar view, and credit card usage view."

Maybe it just means that things like "Bill Manager" and "Rewards Manager", which are drop down views under "My Accounts" will no longer be there. If so, that's not a big deal since the info was on the Dashboard view anyway.

Here's Kitces' take on Fidelity acquiring eMoney in 2015:
    https://www.kitces.com/blog/fidelity-acquires-emoney-advisor-pfm-dashboard-gets-financial-planning-software-thrown-in/

In short, it sounds like he thought Fidelity acquired eMoney for its Mint-like presentation of data. He expected that to show up at the retail level ("direct-to-consumer") at Fidelity, and now it seems it is about to. So the footnote about features vanishing could be nothing more than an acknowledgement that this will be a different presentation system. Or it could mean more. We'll see.
  • I have used it for years and have always had (different) problems with it. It was Yodlee at one point, yes. It is inconsistent about the insuck (technical term) from certain other shops, and differently inconsistent over the years. Worst of all recently, it does not update its own Fido information correctly.
    I have an email chain w/ Fido support about this going back now probably 7y, although the issues have differed over that period, and the discrepancies likewise have been dynamic and unpredictable.
    There was a stretch of a few months ago when it worked perfectly and matched ML's identical My Financial Picture / Net Worth to within a few pennies. I was always amused at the discrepant rounding errors (not really, just different handling of cents).
    Now it is back to old erroneous ways but probably for different reasons.
    Even now, or especially now, you can have it show a given Fido holding marked updated and latest and all that, but wrong, and then you can go with one click to that Fido account, where you will see the actual, very different, latest update. Just wild.
    Several of the franker c/s people have said Yeah, there are problems with the feed and the timing and the reconciliation and worst of all the labeling.
  • All of which should go away in a few weeks with a completely different back end. Then you'll have a whole new set of problems to discover.:-)

Regarding Fidelity account updating, my experience is that the Fidelity account pages are updated promptly but that Full View waits until around 1AM to update the Fidelity accounts. So they may mismatch for several hours.

Worse is that FV promptly updates the values of external accounts. So between around 5PM and 1AM Eastern Time, FV shows a portfolio value that's a combination of today's numbers (for external accounts) and yesterday's numbers (for Fidelity accounts).

The "within a few pennies" is what irks me. If you hold the same fund in two accounts, say $12.05 in one account and $26.27 in another, FV might report your total holding as $28.31. The discrepancy occurs because FV adds the shares together and then computes the value based on share price. Add then round, rather than round then add.

No matter. I really do expect everything to change; so it doesn't seem worth complaining to Fidelity now.
  • edited August 2018
    There was a near-total / major (their terms) overhaul in the past, maybe more than once, so I ain't excited, yet. Though each time I kvetched they said they were escalating to top software management, har, since I was a longtime and worthy customer, also har.

Assume you meant $38 and change, else the problem is even worse than I reported....

Now I get the adding-shares thing, which seems a little weird when bringing in other accounts, or maybe not.

This was part (v small) of the reason I xferred everything (but one account) to ML 9m ago, in addition to the $1k reward. I had used the ML equivalent for years and it never failed to be right.
  • And yes about clock update timings (chronstamp is the insuck term), although I had this explained to me several times via c/s email, and each time it was a different explanation, so my new confidence is not high about timeliness either.

I was once actually fed nice dinner by Fido for going downtown and being in an eveninglong UX group with testing and terminals and experimental UIs, all that, for being a veteran accountholder yada yada, so figured my detailed writeup would be of use, as I was also working at the time as SW TW and also UX analyst and advocate. How many hars are permitted in one evening.
    I also told anyone who would politely nod that only a coujple of years earlier I had done not inconsiderable freelance editorial work for them on bond prospectuses and such.

More recently, a new next-door neighbor, unmet thus far by me, works in Fido UX, so maybe I should drop by and come on the opposite of strong.
  • I am not a happy camper. Fidelity attempted (and failed) to slide in its new Full View this morning (or earlier) without advance notification. They are now trying to paper it over by sending everyone a message (but only on their site, not via email) that:
    We are performing scheduled maintenance on Full View. During this period, you may be unable to access your non-Fidelity account information.
    This was sent out some time after noon (I've checked two different accounts that received this message at 12:09PM ET and 12:18 PM.)

A "scheduled" maintenance would be have been announced in advance and include an end time. Further, Fidelity has since taken down the Full View link in the drop down menu from Accounts. Before doing that, they rerouted it so that it brought you to the "coming soon" page.

Before their system died, I had a little bit of time to look around. Normally I'd be a bit more magnanimous, since one usually dislikes something different and unfamiliar. But I'm not feeling particularly forgiving now.

They did not carry over any of the outside login info. On the one hand, one may consider that a good thing (more secure), but on the other, it means that one has to link up, in my case, many different accounts. Worse, it doesn't link multiple accounts on the same server in one shot. You have to link each one separately. While you don't have to keep providing the same outside login repeatedly, it still takes a long time to find the candidate accounts (that it already read when you linked the first account).

The list of holdings isn't under investments but under statements (as I recall - not sure of the names, but it wasn't where I expected). Unlike the old Full View, you can't sort investments by size (e.g. from largest holding to smallest). It seems to only sort alphabetically.

That's about as far as I got before everything went kaplooey.

FWIW, real, honest info I got from tech support was that they were working on the problem and hoping to have it up and running by Monday. In the meantime, Full View is dead. At least tech support didn't try to snow me and say this was a scheduled outage.
  • I spent ~45 min late last night relinking everything, glad to hear it may have been to no avail
  • It is slow and clunky.....
  • Please email Fidelity and let them know, so that they can do something about it.
  • They are working on it. I emailed them my post above, along with a couple of paragraphs saying that while I'm disappointed in the transition, I'm more disturbed by the poor communication, to the point of misrepresenting the situation and keeping customers in the dark. A company does not win friends that way.

Just curious - @davidrmoran did you get email notifying you about the switchover? I didn't; I just found the link when I logged in this morning. Another example of, shall we say, less than ideal communication.
  • I got an email two weeks ago saying the switch is going to happen soon. Also, upon login at the top of the page, it had a message saying Fullview will be going through a change soon.

It did not include a specific time
  • Apologies, I meant notification that it had been switched. I got the impression when I talked with tech support that some people may have been emailed links or some other notification about the new version being ready.
  • No notification for me. I read it here and found that it switched:)
  • @msf, no, just upon login, but starting like 2m ago
  • Thanks. It seems to be working (such as it is) for me now also. How did you find Full View, since it's no longer in the account drop down menu, at least for me? I'd bookmarked the page when I saw they were shutting down the system this morning.
  • Full View, for me, has been a disaster for many years. It is so bad that Fidelity sent at least one blanket email of apology. My results are always "wrong" in that they are inconsistent. I finally removed all entries except Investments and Checking Accounts (Cash Equivalent). Full View reports a value for Investments and a LOWER value for my Net Worth. Makes no sense. I tracked down their algorithm and found that they calculate Net Worth by subtracting the value of one of my investments. I complain every year or so to Fidelity Private Client Group, who is usually very effective. They apologize and say that all they can do is complain internally but they get no response.

Fortunately, Fidelity provides a total on my Home Page (Portfolio) for Investments and Checking Accounts which is useful. The only time Full View agrees, any where close, is late Saturday. All other days Full View is off by as much as $40,000.

I can't see why Fidelity pays these clowns at Full View for years of incompetence.
  • The only time Full View agrees, any where close, is late Saturday.

What is wrong with that? Looking once a week is still overkill, IMO.
  • What's wrong with that is that:

(a) Even if one looks once a week or even just once a month, one shouldn't be forced to wait until late in the evening, the next Saturday, to do so;

(b) Without a lot of trial and error, one does not know which times are the "safe" times to look at the information
  • @msf, you're one of those people that complained about their tax refund being smaller this year, aren't you? Even though at the end of the day your taxes went down significantly.
  • edited April 2019
    For god knows what reasons, Fidelity's Accounts & Trade, Portfolio is regularly more accurate and up to date than FullView, which is unusably sketchy and has been so for years. (And Fidelity knows this.)
    But even Portfolio is kinda random and often later than it needs to be.

Merrill's My Financial Picture otoh is invariably accurate and timely, so it can be done. On a good day it's within a few cents of the Fido Portfolio, due to rounding differences, as msf has explicated prior.

All v weird.

Yes, I check too often.
  • JoJo26 said:

@msf, you're one of those people that complained about their tax refund being smaller this year, aren't you? Even though at the end of the day your taxes went down significantly.

This remark about my tax planning skills has exactly what to do with Full View? Still, that's 0 for 2; are you trying for a clean strikeout?

FWIW, I pay estimated taxes based on last year's taxes as the most safe harbor. Ceteris paribus I get the same refund each year. So if as you said, my refund went down this year, my taxes must have gone up.
  • msf said:

JoJo26 said:

@msf, you're one of those people that complained about their tax refund being smaller this year, aren't you? Even though at the end of the day your taxes went down significantly.

This remark about my tax planning skills has exactly what to do with Full View? Still, that's 0 for 2; are you trying for a clean strikeout?

FWIW, I pay estimated taxes based on last year's taxes as the most safe harbor. Ceteris paribus I get the same refund each year. So if as you said, my refund went down this year, my taxes must have gone up.
    Let's be honest here... We know that isn't true. I'm 2 for 2 and now 3 for 3. I'll always bat 1.000 vs a try hard like yourself.
  • msf
    edited April 2019
    And ... yer out.

Reflexive pronouns.
    https://data.grammarbook.com/blog/pronouns/reflexive-pronouns-2/

To keep this on subject ... for @heritage972: Fidelity doesn't pay outside clowns for this. Most aggregators work with Yodlee. Fidelity bought eMoney a few years ago, and that's the screen scraper it is using.

To @davidrmoran 's point - my impression is that once the figures are gathered from the outside sources, different sites may use different software to organize and present the data. (Though T. Rowe Price's looks like Fidelity's old system, so they may both have been using the same or similar Yodlee presentation software.) That could account for timing differences as well as different appearances.

Personally, after Fidelity spending a year(?) getting out the bugs, I'm finding its system a bit more reliable than Yodlee at pulling the data, though neither one is perfect.
  • To bring the business side full circle, eMoney's founder is going to build a competing product for Yodlee's parent company Envestnet.

Envestnet acquired Yodlee about the same time as Fidelity acquired eMoney.
  • I forget if you have a Merrill account, but if so have you tried using their MyFinancialPicture?
    bulletproof in my experience.
    I guess you woulda mentioned if you had or could.
  • "I'll always bat 1.000 vs a try hard like yourself."

This may come as something of a surprise since you obviously believe that the sun, moon, and planets revolve around you, but whatever you may think that you "bat" is totally unimportant and uninteresting to me, and also a fair number of others here.

From time to time over the years we unfortunately acquire a real jerk here on MFO. At the moment, you are filling that position nicely.
  • I forget if you have a Merrill account, but if so have you tried using their MyFinancialPicture?
    bulletproof in my experience.
    I guess you woulda mentioned if you had or could.

I do keep a Merrill account in which I never trade (as a buy-and-hold investor, that's not hard to do), strictly to qualify for BofA Preferred Rewards. That's just so that I get higher "rewards" on BofA credit cards.

A few months ago I tried out a small number of aggregators including MyFinancialPicture. A nuisance for me to set up, given the fair number of financial institutions I use (e.g. internet bank, Treasury Direct, individual fund families for grandfathered accounts, HSA, etc.). So I'm disinclined to start another trial.

A couple of months ago, one of the aggregators caused my local bank to auto-call me at midnight, or 3, or 5 in the morning. Every couple of nights. I really didn't care which one it was, I just shut down all of them.

Not worth my effort (and sleep) to try that again.

• For your amusement (10PM EDT, 4/26/2019):
    We are performing maintenance between 9/2/2016 at 12:00 PM ET and 9/6/2016 at 9:00 AM ET. During this time, access to eMoney is temporarily unavailable while we enhance and improve the Fidelity eMoney client experience.
    I guess that explains why the account values are delayed (by 2½ years):-)