Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Listen To TurboTax Lie To Get Out Of Refunding Overcharged Customers

FYI: The makers of TurboTax have long been luring customers into paying for a service that they promised the government they’d give away for free. Now they’re lying to customers to avoid giving refunds.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.propublica.org/article/listen-to-turbotax-lie-to-get-out-of-refunding-overcharged-customers#

Comments

• That's typical for that bunch of A-holes. Fought them for over15 years over their antics.
    Used to do rebates that was another joke. Cant prove it but had an instance where I was turned in to the IRS!!!
  • Realistically speaking are their good alternatives to TurboTax and Quicken? I have to say, I have tried hard and have not found any. I'm suffering them both. It's like having access to just ONE insurance, electric utility, water utility, cable, etc. company. Can't say it is a monopoly from legal sense of the word, but for all practical purposes there is no alternative.

Just like we can only have one President...
  • And I sure hope that we get one pretty soon!
  • Realistically speaking are their good alternatives to TurboTax and Quicken?

Yes. I do it on paper in ink after doing a first version in pencil. When in doubt about a rule or procedure I phone the IRS and do what I'm told... unless I'm in doubt. In that case I phone again and if I get a different, better answer I do *that*. I pay my tax by check. I get my refund by check. I send and receive these via the USPS using envelopes and stamps. Same for the state.
  • edited May 2019
    Ben said:

Realistically speaking are their good alternatives to TurboTax and Quicken?

Yes. I do it on paper in ink after doing a first version in pencil. ... I pay my tax by check. I get my refund by check. I send and receive these via the USPS using envelopes and stamps. Same for the state.
    Both IRS and states (I assume, since my more-backward-than-average state does it) have keyboard-fillable forms with extremely detailed instructions. I'm like you, Ben, except for the pen & pencil and refund by check (direct deposit here).

P.S. Isn't it hilarious how "simplified" the powers that be made the forms and calculations?
  • AndyJ said:

>

P.S. Isn't it hilarious how "simplified" the powers that be made the forms and calculations?

Yes, it was so simple it took me 20% longer to do my taxes.
  • AndyJ said:

Both IRS and states (I assume, since my more-backward-than-average state does it) have keyboard-fillable forms with extremely detailed instructions.

I suppose that would be advantageous to those receiving the forms. Clear lettering and numbers. But for me it would put me even more hours in front of my computer and I already do too many hours for work-related things. I would much rather be at a table or desk without the glare and the fixed hand positions on keyboard and mouse.
  • Realistically speaking are their good alternatives to TurboTax and Quicken? I have to say, I have tried hard and have not found any. I'm suffering them both. It's like having access to just ONE insurance, electric utility, water utility, cable, etc. company. Can't say it is a monopoly from legal sense of the word, but for all practical purposes there is no alternative. ...

So by 'tried hard' you have tried HRBlock, TaxAct, Slayer, and FreeFile, right? I read reviews, don't know how reliable, saying some of these are pretty good.

• I use Quicken and turbotax. Ugh. Managing Your Money from Andrew Tobias came on floppy disk, still my favorite. When orphaned I went to Microsoft Money which was worse bloatware until orphaned and forced into Quicken which made Microsoft Money seem great by comparison. Quicken operates solely for the benefit of Intuit (actually anti-intuit.) I don't understand the lack of viable personal finance competition, Quicken displeasure is loudly and broadly expressed. Actually turbotax is ok, intuitive and understandable navigation for our simple uncomplicated tax filing needs. But deceptive in leading one into additional filing expenses only revealed after doing a bunch of work.
  • Direct deposit is the way to go for me from now on. I moved & when my tax man imposed the two addresses I was told to talk to the mail person to get my refund.
    To say the least it did work !
    Derf
  • Derf said:

Direct deposit is the way to go for me from now on. I moved & when my tax man imposed the two addresses I was told to talk to the mail person to get my refund.
    Derf

1) Can you please explain "my tax man imposed the two addresses"? Specifically I'm not understanding "imposed" in this context, and also am unsure what a personal tax man is.

2) Am I the only one who is wary of giving the IRS direct access to my bank account? I'm thinking that a door in can also be a door out. It's been that way for every house and building I've been in. Maybe I'm being naive.
  • Ben said:

Derf said:

Direct deposit is the way to go for me from now on. I moved & when my tax man imposed the two addresses I was told to talk to the mail person to get my refund.
    Derf

1) Can you please explain "my tax man imposed the two addresses"? Specifically I'm not understanding "imposed" in this context, and also am unsure what a personal tax man is.

2) Am I the only one who is wary of giving the IRS direct access to my bank account? I'm thinking that a door in can also be a door out. It's been that way for every house and building I've been in. Maybe I'm being naive.
    What's exactly the difference versus sending a check? That has your bank account information.....
  • Ben
    edited May 2019
    JoJo26 said:

Ben said:

Derf said:

Derf

What's exactly the difference versus sending a check? That has your bank account information.....
    One is information. The other is access. An analogy: knowing the address of the house I live in is not the same as having the key to my front door.