Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• The Spaceship 2020 commander will likely back down from more than holding off on auto tariffs just announced. One must suspect, regardless of any critical thinking on this part, that the perception of a fading economy and falling investment markets is the last thing he wants before the voting booths open.
  • Maybe it's the reverse -- the market got the President's message.

If I were a cynic, I might believe that Trump (and friends and family) sold the market short or bought some inverse funds or ETFs, then tweeted about ramping up the tariff wars.
    Give the market a day or two to go in the tank, then start backing away from the precipice, with profits in hand.
    A week later, we're back to where we started.
    How many time has this sort of thing happened? The media broadcast the tweets, the market overreacts. He knows he can move the market in any direction he wants for a short time.
    Maybe he just does it for fun.
    David
  • Hi @dstone42
    Sad to think about that........but, the markets get played a lot; but not from names we would know.
    Wilbur Ross would have a good time with such a plan and his money background.
    By the way, where the heck is he???
  • edited May 2019
    @Catch22- Well, he's been busy here, for one thing:

Trump declares national emergency over telecom threats

"The order, which has been under review for more than a year, is aimed at protecting the supply chain from “foreign adversaries to the nation’s information and communications technology and services supply chain”, said the commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross.

“Under President Trump’s leadership, Americans will be able to trust that our data and infrastructure are secure,” he said."

• edited May 2019
    We will see if this is so. I'm thinking he still has a pretty big swag about himself. So, I'll continue to look for more markt volatility. And, from my perspective ... marekt volatility does present, at times, some good buying opportunity. So, why be so concerned about it? After all, volatility is part of investing and has been, thus far, during my lifetime.
  • "market volatility does present, at times, some good buying opportunity. So, why be so concerned about it? After all, volatility is part of investing and has been, thus far, during my lifetime."

Yes, for sure. Especially for shorter-term traders.