Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The More It Drops, The More I Buy - Revisited

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4246436-drops-buy-revisited

The More It Drops, The More I Buy - Revisited
Mar. 6, 2019 9:00 AM ETAMZN, BDC...174 Comments115 Likes
Summary

Once again, REITs recovered the majority of their losses after a painful end of the year 2018.
Historical data suggest that REITs will keep outperformance even in times of increasing interest rates.
Fundamentals are strong today with REITs enjoying solid NOI growth and historically strong balance sheets.
We share 3 Top Holdings of our “Core Portfolio" at High Yield Landlord.
This idea was discussed in more depth with members of my private investing community, High Yield Landlord.

Comments

• This smacks of advertising. I thought that was banned.
  • Sorry, thought you were recommending your blog. Some REIT blogs have been more cautious, but he only selects three, which seem to have an advantage.
  • Author liked and mentioned buying Vanguard reits vnq, Realty Income (O), Kimco (KIM), Welltower (WELL), Simon (SPG) and Prologis (PLD).
  • edited May 2019
    Re: Buying down - I’ve done this before. It’s always a big gamble. Worked to an extent in the ‘07-‘09 slide. The biggest mistake was to start averaging back out of the riskier stuff on the way up as early as I did. But, overall, it worked this time around. I did this again during the energy rout 3 or 4 years back. Stomach wrenching to keep buying into that bottomless pit as oil fell from over $100 to $26. Did OK in the end. But not worth the agony.

Would I do it (buy down) again? No. Does it work every time? No. Full stock market recovery from the ‘29-‘33 debacle took many years (plus a world war). Japan’s market still isn’t back to where it was in the late 90s. Buying down shouldn’t be confused with rebalancing. As long as there’s a methodology behind it (ie twice yearly) rebalancing is a good idea. Does tend to make you sell high and buy low.

This post was edited for brevity.
  • Hi sir @_hank... I did add vnq and Vti today