Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trump declares "national emergency" over telecoms "threats"

A current article in The Guardian is reporting that:
Donald Trump has signed an executive order declaring a national emergency and barring US companies from using telecommunications equipment made by firms officials say pose a national security risk, paving the way for a ban on doing business with China’s Huawei Technologies Co.

The executive order invokes the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, which gives the president the authority to regulate commerce in response to a national emergency that threatens the US.

The order does not specifically name any country or company, but US officials have previously labeled Huawei a “threat” and lobbied allies not to use Huawei network equipment in next-generation 5G networks.

The executive order comes at a delicate time in relations between China and the US as the world’s two largest economies ratchet up tariffs in a battle over what US officials call China’s unfair trade practices.

Talks between Washington and Beijing have come grinding to a halt in recent days, ratcheting up volatility amid fears of a global trade war.

Washington believes equipment made by Huawei could be used by the Chinese state to spy. Huawei has vehemently denied the allegations.

Huawei did not immediately comment on Trump’s executive order.

The Federal Communications Commission chairman, Ajit Pai, who has called Huawei a threat to US security, said on Wednesday: “Given the threats presented by certain foreign companies’ equipment and services, this is a significant step toward securing America’s networks.”

(The preceding are selected excerpts from the Guardian article, edited for brevity. The quotation marks in the title were added.)

Comments

• This stuff is well within my professional wheelhouse: There's no need for a national declaration on this unless one is hungry for PR optics that show him 'strongly' doing something to pressure China. Oh, wait....

• edited May 2019
    @rforno- Yeah, I know. Seems to me that England has the right approach- confine the Huawei equipment to the non-critical RF transmission/reception and other peripheral stuff, and keep them well away from the data-processing side of things.

Of course, we could also have Boeing's software team vet the Huawei software and give it a clean bill of health... what could possibly go wrong?
  • @rforno
    I see one reason for banning Huawei from the states is if the gov wanted in the backdoor just as China has in the past, on Huawei's equipment - lets say looking for a mad bomber - Huawei could tell the US gov to go pound sand. No legal control !!

• I agree ... what I'm saying is that he can ban anything from import w/o necessarily declaring a 'national emergency.'
    Gary said:

@rforno
    I see one reason for banning Huawei from the states is if the gov wanted in the backdoor just as China has in the past, on Huawei's equipment - lets say looking for a mad bomber - Huawei could tell the US gov to go pound sand. No legal control !!

• @rforno: Trump is a "national emergency".
  • edited May 2019
    Stating the obvious?
    Old_Joe said:

@rforno: Trump is a "national emergency".

• Yeah, I guess. Sorry about that.:(

• Rationally-derived opinions and/or facts can be restated freely on threads you control. Meaning, I still like you. :)
    Old_Joe said:

Yeah, I guess. Sorry about that.:(

• Or even threads that you don't "control". :) Thanks- the feeling is indeed mutual.
  • edited May 2019
    Seems like our hatred/racist workaholic potus trying everything to crash the market/create problems again... I still don't understand, market still went up today...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pennsylvania-poll-biden-tops-trump-by-double-digits

2020 walk in park for our beloved sleepy huggie uncle Joe stomping over trump... Can't wait until Nov 2020. Everyone really love and cherish him the greatest yrs that he and Obama had 2008 until 2016