Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Donald Trump shows off 'secret' Mexico document but photos reveal contents

edited June 2019 in Off-Topic
I wondered how investors and consumers might position themselves based on a hidden “secret agreement” with a major trading partner. Seemed like a difficult spot to be in - quite bizarre actually. However, it appears a photographer was able to outsmart the President and actually photographed most of the contents inside the sheet of paper he was waving around.

As kids, we’d sometimes write “secret” messages with lemmon juice on sheets of paper. To read the text you had to heat the paper over a flame and than the message would magically appear. So don’t rule out that there still might be some trickery here that’s hiding some sort of secret agreement (Although Mexico says they’re unaware of any secret agreement). Do you think Mexico might be surprised as well by whatever agreement gets revealed?

FWIW - Some of the Mexican beers are damned good. Would hate to see them increase by 25% in price.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/11/trump-shows-off-secret-mexico-document-but-photos-reveal-contents

Didn’t want @BenWP and others to have to visualize based on my depiction. So here’s a photo. Picture’s worth a thousand words. (And be thankful those aren’t the launch codes in there).

Comments

• Without researching the NYTimes archive, I still recall an editorial shortly before the 2016 election calling DT something like a "carnival barker" and a "con man." The behavior alluded to in @hank's post would seem to reinforce the accusation.
  • +1. And yet, there he sits, in the Oval Office. There were enough un-seeing voters in the "wrong" locations to be able to give him the Electoral votes he needed to "win." ... "Hey, Melania! SURPRISE!" The Electoral College needs to be put to death. And it won't ever happen. Why? Because too many of a certain religious ilk think that Jesus Christ himself handed the Constitution to us, as is. (I admit I stole that editorial comment from uncle Bill Maher.)
  • +1 What makes him so dangerous is he is a con man with power. He abuses his "Executive Privilege" and thrives on media attention and telling lies with each breath he takes.

Essentially, he is a just a politician who longs to become a dictator. Turns out that he is just the first syllable of that word.
  • There were enough un-seeing voters in the "wrong" locations to be able to give him the Electoral votes he needed to "win."

@ Crash- Don't be too certain of that. If you can stomach it, scroll through the great majority of on-line reader comments on almost any WSJ article. Those people saw exactly what they were getting, and they are very happy with it.

Essentially, he is a just a politician who longs to become a dictator.

@JoeD- Exactly. And he tries very hard to run the United States as if it were, to use his very own words, some shithole country. He'd make himself "dictator for life" in a bloody second if he thought that he could get away with it.
  • @MFO Members: Note source of lower tier member's, and Mexican beer expert, linked article on Trump. The Guardian, a left-wing British tabloid. Doesn't surprise me !
    Regards,
    Ted

Drink Beers Made In America:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_beer_brands
  • edited June 2019
    Slow news day... Trump bashin' headlines continue to rule... We love it...2020 think high energy uncle Joe will win at least 400s to 100s imho leading 5-13 pts in all polls against DT

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/landslide-proportions-new-poll-shows-biden-crushing-trump

In other news two giraffes died of thunder in fla zoo

https://people.com/pets/two-giraffes-killed-by-lightning-florida-zoo/
  • "Note source of lower tier member's, and Mexican beer expert, linked article on Trump." (sic)

This upper-tier ex-schoolteacher is evidently incapable of constructing a coherent sentence in standard English. It's bad enough that we have to be subjected to him... let's just hope that none of your kids were also.
  • Old_Joe said:

"Note source of lower tier member's, and Mexican beer expert, linked article on Trump." (sic)

This upper-tier ex-schoolteacher is evidently incapable of constructing a coherent sentence in standard English. It's bad enough that we have to be subjected to him... let's just hope that none of your kids were also.

My thought, too.