Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• May it outperform as, or indeed half as, DSEEX does.
  • @davidmoran: DSEEX routinely, monthly in fact, delivers almost 3% in distributions. Unless you buy a leveraged CEF, it's hard to find more yield than that. I don't mind reinvesting the distributions on my positions in DSENX; sometimes I'm buying cheap shares.
  • 3% is good? I must say I'm pleased with PRSNX (3.67% yield) and PTIAX (4.84% yield.). Please, for those who know more than I do: why is this NEW fund advertised as an "income" fund? Is that not the raison d'etre of bond funds generally? Most of DL is bond funds, eh?
  • @Crash: you’re right. I was thinking of equity funds’ yields. My largest position is PTIAX.
  • Crash said:

Please, for those who know more than I do: why is this NEW fund advertised as an "income" fund? Is that not the raison d'etre of bond funds generally?

There are income funds and there are total return funds. From one of many articles about Bill Gross' retirement:
    “His real claim to fame was pioneering total return investing in fixed income,” said Miriam Sjoblom, director of fixed-income ratings at Morningstar. “That means you are not just concerned with collecting income. You are concerned with price appreciation and avoiding losses.

“The fact that he was able to popularize a style of investing that didn’t focus on yield changed the industry,” Sjoblom said.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/business/pimco-founder-bill-gross-the-bond-king-calls-it-quits/

DoubleLine confuses matters by calling its fund an income fund while stating that its objective "is to maximize total return". Compare that with, say, DODIX, which says that it "seeks a high and stable rate of current income, consistent with long-term preservation of capital. A secondary objective is to take advantage of opportunities to realize capital appreciation." (Quotes from funds' respective prospectuses.)

Maybe just a matter of degree these days, with everything giving a nod to appreciation.