Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

David Snowball's July Commentary Is Now Available

Comments

• Hi, guys.

It was a good trip. If you have the opportunity, it's well worth it. The only downside is the travel: hours in an uncomfortable seat then hours on completely crazy country roads. Everything else is, for us, bliss.

Odds and ends:

The Palm Valley fund might be a sign of the end of times. Mr. Cinnamond returned capital in 2016 but promised, like some Norse myth, to return for Ragnarok. When I talked with them, their view was "not yet but soon enough." If markets ever act normally again, it would be a useful holding. If the market is forever propped up by QEs 1 - 37, all bets are off.

The Harbor ISC fund is interesting, in part because Harbor wouldn't appoint a management team with such a short public record (that is, as Cedar Street) if they didn't have a lot of reason to be confident.

The Matthews Asia Value fund is something I should have written about in 2018, after I met Mr. Zhou for the first time and thought "Jay-sus, he's really sharp." Then I met him again in 2019 and thought, "Jay-sus, I was really stupid to put this off for a year."

I also spent time with Amit Wadhwaney of Moerus, about whom I haven't written. I will say this, he's the most thoughtful and erudite guy in just about any room. We had a lovely talk about a corporate culture that stresses the importance of reading good books, and his desire to hire a philosophy major or grad student for the sharpness they've been trained to and the distinctly different perspective they'd bring to each question.

Hmmm ... there's a scary bunch of funds that will launch in September. Not sure what I think of the new Grandeur Peak fund, since they were also so clear of their "this much and no more" approach to assets. I guess you've got to change with the times, but that really was bedrock for them. I was skeptical of the EM fund, then went back and looked at the manager's record at Eaton Vance. Shortly thereafter I decided to close my mouth and watch quietly.

And, of course, just a small celebration of The Shadow. I'm forever grateful for and slightly stunned by the work he does.

So, on whole, pretty decent stuff for a quiet summer day.

David
  • @David_Snowball,

Thank you and thanks to you, Chip, and the countless efforts of others, and of course the posters for making the Board what it is today!
  • We need to figure out how to add iframes to the Board, else too hard now to post Jing images.
  • Charles said:

We need to figure out how to add iframes to the Board, else too hard now to post Jing images.

iFrames pose a significant security risk. Most discussion board software will not allow iFrames in posts for that reason. Here's a bit of an explanation https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/iframe-security-risk/#gref

I've been hoping Jing would come to their senses on this "upgrade" they've made.

• Yeah, they have not budged.
  • They have a shrewd business model. Attract subscribers to post hundreds of images for free. Then, start charging "or lose all your images." Then, switch the posting methods so discussions boards, like ours, can't use them. Ha!
  • I guess I should know: If it's free, you are the product (except with MFO). c