Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Large Growth Fund

Everyone’s thoughts on large growth fund. I have narrowed it down to POLRX and MAPPX. Thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2019
    In my large/mid cap sleeve, found in the growth area of my portfolio, I own SPECX, AGTHX & AMCPX in the large cap growth space. All three of these funds are long term holdings, for me, with sizeable capital gains exposure should I choose to sell. However, I'm liking ESEAX which Ted posted an article on this morning as it appears to have the type of upside (and downside) capture ratios I favor plus it has low turnover. Atlanta Capital has a great small/mid cap growth fund (EAASX), closed to new investors, that has performed well over the years.
  • Bought into BIAWX on 28 May, 2019. Already way up in '19. On fire. But I've caught a +8.99% profit already. Take a look. Up ytd 28.43%. TRBCX is up fabulously, too. Mentioned by @Ted. I personally hate doing business with the most famous, most common domestic growth names. But some days, it seems that you just can't possibly avoid them. (Amazon, Boeing, Microsoft, etc.)
  • I own and like POLRX. Then again, why? Frankly, and this may apply to you, it shows up on lists of high performing funds. I track my funds on StockCharts.com and note that this fund is up 122% in five years (unfortunately, I haven't owned it for 5 years). I like that it is often in the top quartile of performing funds in its category. (TRBCX, another fund I've owned, is up 107% in five years). I just checked Morningstar which credits POLRX with having a formula that focuses on stellar high growth companies with little or no debt. Morningstar says this approach is intended to limit risk. We will see. On the caution side you should note that it has a portfolio of only 20 stocks (not a lot of diversification if they choose the wrong stocks). And note that the list of their stocks includes the same big name growth stocks that almost every other fund seems to own (Microsoft, Facebook, Alphabet, etc.). In summary, this is a high flyer that may flop big time if we hit a brutal decline in the market.
  • edited July 2019
    If you're looking for a fine fund that doesn't invest like all the others, the folks at Primecap POGRX might be worth your time. I don't own this one because I chose their aggressive growth fund POAGX instead. I found that a pair of CEF's I already owned contain more than enough of the common names for my tastes.
  • Polen looks like a winner (and I would ignore the nonresponsive responses). Not only is Polen small but holdings are few and turnover low.
  • I use AKREX for that space fwiw. I have some concern with Charles' age but will cross that succession-bridge when it comes. Some good funds mentioned though.
  • edited July 2019
    Note (for what it might be worth) that M* classifies POLRX as playing a "supporting" role in the portfolio--- no doubt due to how very concentrated it is... Eh? Not to be used, in their opinion, as a "core" holding.
  • I also like BIAWX and AKREX. MAPPX is fine; it’s one of several good growth funds at MS with the stamp of Dennis Lynch on them, although he is far from the only manager.
  • edited July 2019
    While I don't own it, BFOCX, Berkshire Focus Fund, has been on my radar.

Yes, the fund has high turnover/high fees, but the fund has performed well over last several years.
  • I guess one of the fund managers at POLRX stepped down this month.