Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Where were you on July 20, 1969?

edited July 2019 in Off-Topic
Apollo 11 represented man’s first landing on another celestial body. The mission launched 50 years ago this month on July 16, 1969 and touched down on the lunar surface July 20. https://www.history.com/news/apollo-11-moon-landing-timeline

Myself? I’d graduated a month earlier from Central Michigan University with a teaching degree. Had yet to secure a position. A buddy at CMU affiliated with the YMCA had gotten me a summer job as a counselor at one of their camps out in the woods somewhere. Each of us was in charge of a cabin full of kids where we bunked at night - with no electricity. The camp cafeteria had electricity and a B&W TV. But strict rules required it to be locked up with the TV off evenings. In any case, my duties had me remaining in the lightless cabin with the kids the night of the landing. So I missed viewing it as it happened. It’s something I’ve always regretted.

Where were you?

Comments

• US Navy Survival School, in Coronado, CA preparing for a jungle vacation.
  • Watching TV with my folks back home in SW Ohio; working days on the line at International Harvester, the usual for college summers. Had graduated Brandeis ~6w earlier; was studying German at local Wittenberg College to prep for doctoral program in another >month at Columbia. Running evening draft counseling center downtown Springfield.

Had watched liftoff a few days prior.

Like the year prior, a terrible time aside from this fine event.

Today's political news vitally brings back '68-'69, in all its anxious anger, PBuchanan and SAgnew speechifying 'Love It or Leave It'.
  • (@Mark: jungle vacation. Funny.) I was 15, staying overnight at a friend's house. I kept watching and watching, through the night, while Bill slept. He was soon Air Force bound. Ended up working on those planet-sized C-5s.
  • 7 months into an all expenses paid vacation in Long Xuyen South Vietnam.
  • Was in grade school and watching the landing on a black & white television. Over spring break our family visited The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, and saw a Lunar capsule (not sure which Apollo mission it was from). Amazing engineering to get human to the moon there and back.
  • Some where between Buffalo and Rochester, driving back home from a vacation in Niagara Falls. I was 15 at the time. I remember it being on the radio as we drove.
  • The summer before high school. July 20, 1969 was my little brother's 12th birthday and the family spent a lot of hours sitting around the TV watching.
  • Watching tv like most people.