Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

You'd Be Better Off Just Blowing Your Money: Why Retirement Planning Is Doomed

FYI: I know this is a bold, and possibly controversial title, but retirement planning is broken and leaving people broke.

The destructive narrative is, “work hard, save money in a retirement plan, wait and it will all work out in the long run.”

The reality is, without the ingredients of responsibility and accountability, there is no easy solution for retirement. Meaning, if we just work hard and set money aside, we are putting money into a market we have no control over.

The institutions are winning though. Taking fees along the way. Convincing us to separate ourselves from our hard earned money, encouraging us to take it out of the business we know and put it into investments we don’t.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.forbes.com/sites/garrettgunderson/2019/07/16/youd-be-better-off-just-blowing-your-money-why-retirement-planning-is-doomed/#31d23618302d

Comments

• Sorry Ted but I don't think this article is worth the time of frequent visitors to this site.
  • Our Motto: Quantity, not Quality!
  • Here's a good (and lengthy) deconstruction of Gunderson's book from a fine site, The White Coat Investor.
    https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/killing-sacred-cows-a-review/
  • @MFO Members: The "Quality and Quantity" had over 650 views since this morning . How many for OJ today, 0000000000000000000000000000000000 !!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited July 2019
    @Ted,

I specifically looked at this thread because I noticed that mfo board favorite @Old_Joe had made a comment. So, when you count those “total views”, do you have a way to compensate for the fact that many of those “views” were attributable to respected stalwarts like @msf and @Old_Joe having posited a remark - and not necessarily because you initiated the thread?

It might even be fairer to credit the OP with just one-half view and grant a full-view only to each of those who actually offered substantive comment. They’re the ones who did the “heavy lifting” and moved a lifeless thread onto the discussions + page and in enticing others to read it.

“No man is an island” - John Donne

Regards