Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

the August Mutual Fund Observer!

Flying foxes launching at your ETF? Great Owls soaring? Smart guys babbling? The first-ever roster of funds for Muslim investors? Lessons from a Butterfinger bar? The one-tenth of one percent of funds that have managed defensive excellence (i.e. a Great Owl for the full market cycle) and offensive excellence (they're FundAlarm Honor Roll members, too). A Vanguard fund that even The Vanguard Guy pooh-poohs? It can only be had in the August Mutual Fund Observer.

Comments

• Mornin' David

You noted: "One of the most ignorant and hateful statements that a person can make is “If you don’t like it here, why don’t you leave?”

But most people who want to change conditions do like it here: they love it here. They love it so much they cannot stand to see it suffer from its imperfections, and want it to live up to its ideals. It is the people who placidly accept the corruptions and perversions and inequities in our society who do not love America; they love their status, security and special privilege.

>>>Yes, narrow thinking minds are destructive, eh? Investors with this mind set may obtain positive returns over the years from the "lucky" portion of investing; but not likely from any ability to know how to position a portfolio based upon critical thinking skills, IMHO.
    Hopefully, those here at MFO; whether they actively participate in discussions or not, are able to obtain many great pieces of knowledge to broaden their critical thinking skills to achieve their long term investment goals. At times, this process seems like a long and slow road; and indeed, this can be the case. Persist.

Lastly David, I hope I didn't drag your note outside of your intention. But, the words impact many facets of life; and could be expanded to infinity regarding human nature, which may affect investment decisions.

Regards,
    Catch

• Not at all, Catch. If you see only what other people see, and think only what other people think, you will never be more than a shadow of other people. Often, when I'm talking to really good investors or to really good scholars, I think "geez, that's fascinating. I didn't see that coming at all."

David
  • edited August 2019
    Hope this ties in OK with David’s sentiments:

In 1901, British author G. K. Chesterton wrote in his book "The Defendant": “My country, right or wrong' is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying 'My mother, drunk or sober.'” https://www.thoughtco.com/my-country-right-or-wrong-2831839

Better known is this one: “My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”
    (Carl Schulz:)
  • James Baldwin, born this day 95y ago: “I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.” (~1955)
  • zzzzzzzzzz
  • David: Your list of Great Owl Funds that are also on the Honor Roll is very helpful. I’m happy to report that I own 4 of them. I’ve created a chart list so that I can monitor them. Thank you.
  • edited August 2019
    @Lawlar. Yay!