Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Calling Bonds

@MFO Members: Today Hertz called in the chips on my HTZ 7.375% bond maturing 1/15/21. This is the downside of having a callable bond, and a by-product of much lower interest rates.
Regards,
Ted

Comments

• edited August 2019
    Hi sir @_ted

Nice!! What was Ytm
    What investment bonds you may buy next? Ford

We picked up Ford last wk but mature 2040s
  • @JohnN: Sorry John, but I don't call losing sixteen months of interest at 7.375% nice. I'm not complaining, bought the bond on7/19/17 at little less than par, so the capital appreciation plus a excellent yields was a win-win. Now I'll have to put the proceeds to work at a lot less the 7.375%
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Sounds like a win to me other than having to reinvest proceeds elsewhere. All-in-all good outcome though... First world problems.
  • This says they were selling for $106.25. Seems like it should be more - but what do I know?

https://markets.businessinsider.com/bonds/7_375-the-hertz-bond-2021-us428040cg21
  • Hi guys & dolls, Bonds being called away is one of the reasons Old_Skeet went to bond mutual funds only becasuse I simply got tired of bonds being called away from me. Seemed as though I'd buy another one and it would get call away after a couple of years, or so, of buying it. Many times I could not replace the bond with another at or about the same interest rate as the called bond without having to pay a premium. And, with this, I decided to just simply buy bond mutual funds.