Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Charles Schwab to Buy TD Ameritrade for $26 Billion, Reports Say

edited November 2019 in Off-Topic
Charles Schwab to Buy TD Ameritrade for $26 Billion, Reports Say
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-21/charles-schwab-in-talks-to-buy-td-ameritrade-cnbc?srnd=premium

As a longtime ToS/TDA customer I think I'm happy with this b/c I was tempted to 'try' Schwab out at some point in the near future with one of my accounts. If true, this means I'll save on paperwork. :)

Comments

• @rforno. Thanks for your post. I have a Schwab account and was just curious what special services TDA offers that I havent been able to.get at Schwab.... thx

• Not sure myself. I do like/use their ThinkDesktop active trading/charting package, which is a standalone app and not something run in a browser, which I like and hope they keep it. So we'll see how it all turns out....
    MikeW said:

@rforno. Thanks for your post. I have a Schwab account and was just curious what special services TDA offers that I havent been able to.get at Schwab.... thx

• I think this is the consolidation effort to drive up the bottom line, the profit. Buying out smaller competitors increases the customer bases. Custodian services on pension plans, 401(K), and even 529 plans are well fought over among the biggest brokerages. There is only so much Schwab can do to expand their services.
  • rforno said:

Not sure myself. I do like/use their ThinkDesktop active trading/charting package, which is a standalone app and not something run in a browser, which I like and hope they keep it. So we'll see how it all turns out....

MikeW said:

@rforno. Thanks for your post. I have a Schwab account and was just curious what special services TDA offers that I havent been able to.get at Schwab.... thx

Ok thx for the feedback guys
  • Have had multiple accounts at both TDA and Schwab and I've found little difference between them. Some MFs have been NTF on one platform and not on the other, but not many. Taxable brokerage, Roths and traditional IRAs, and UGTM are the types of accounts we've had. Customer service has been flawless. Tax statements have been right on. I have liked Schwab's Investor Checking because of world-wide free ATM, but I never asked TDA if they had such a service. I have never sought or used any account management services or tried to set up a robo account.

• The one nice thing will be to swap my Amex Platinum for a Schwab Amex Platinum, and thus literally be able to 'cash in' my points for deposit into my account. And get a discount on the Amex annual fee based on the size of my account, too.

I'm hoping Schwab's statements are better than TDA's which I never liked very much. I also hope they have decent online account reporting, to include things like tracking performance, which TDA never implemented.

So on the whole I'm kind of looking forward to becoming a Schwab customer at some point.
  • @rforno- Assuming that the deal goes through it will probably take a fair amount of time for Schwab to convert The TDA computer setup and statements to the Schwab system. I don't actually pay all that much attention to the the Schwab "paper statements" in any case, as all of the info is easily available on-line at all times, and pretty well laid out, I think.

OJ

• Breaking today: the deal is done & announced.....
  • hope schwab will NOT grandfather investors and hold them to the 6 month holding period for mutual funds.