Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Peak Oil Plateau Is Close

By Kirk Spano at SeekingAlpha for what interest it may hold

"Summary
° Oil demand growth is flattening rapidly.

° Peak oil demand is likely to happen in the next five to 10 years.

° Borrowing has become very difficult, production is limited to cash flow.

° Oil prices are likely to rise in the intermediate term.

° Higher oil prices will spur the adoption of EVs and alternative energy.

The Peak Oil Plateau Is Close

Comments

• edited November 2019
    Too complicated for me to understand. I get the move to green energy. On the other hand, try to fly a big jet (military or civilian transport) on solar, electric or wind. Am likely overlooking other applications where oil / oil-based products are essential.
  • Never believe a writer with such a terrible grasp of metaphor—peak plateau—in his headline.
  • edited November 2019
    Maybe “permanently high plateau” would work better?
  • edited November 2019
    Hell, do it right: "permanently high peak supply/demand plateau" should cover the whole thing.
  • Actually the writer is not saying that fossil fuels will go away as much as he is of the opinion that opportunities for growth and price improvement in the equities appear on the downslope. In other words, don't expect much from your investment.
  • edited November 2019
    Does anyone remember on this board all the discussion about the "peak" oil supply being reached and that because of that oil would continue to move up? I don't remember for sure but I'm guessing oil was in the 120-160 range at the time. The discussion was that the world would be running out of supply from under the earth.

My, how talk has changed.