Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

replacement for nightly business report

I was wondering if people who used to watch NBR found a replacement? Thank you .

Comments

• Thanks @Vegomatic for posting the bloomberg radio link. I've bookmarked it. Skeet
  • I just realized that NBR is now kaput. What a shame! I tried watching Bloomberg business new tonight, but it’s focused on Asian markets in the late afternoon.
  • edited January 2020
    Check out the podcasts of the radio shows: Bloomberg Surveillance, P&L, etc.

... about halfway down the page: https://www.bloomberg.com/podcasts
  • Bloomberg tv is available on streaming devices, such as Roku boxes.
    I listen to Bloomberg 960 on my Google Homes. "stream Bloomberg 960".
    CNBC is also available, "listen to CNBC live stream".
    There are podcasts about ETFs (ETF Prime and ETF Experience)
    CNBC & Bloomberg and others have channels on YouTube.
  • edited January 2020
    Actually BBG Asia coverage is pretty great, as is most of their coverage anyway on TV.[1] During times of crisis, I tend to have it on starting early Sun evening to see how the markets will be opening. It's helpful. BBG TV generally is more sane, balanced, and informative (ie, "boring") compared to CNBC, which is totally fine by me.

What I wish would be for BBG radio and streaming and TV to be the same feed. Instead, they're 3 different things. BBG TV is not always simulcast on XM (which is nice in the car sometimes), and BBG radio doesn't have the same programs as streaming/TV, etc.

[1] Business Week's become a bleepin' joke in my view, though. And the BBG website is grossly overpriced for what it offers, too.

CNBC International used to be pretty good as I recall - it was FAR less sensational and noisy than their US feed; their US feed panders to wanna-be traders and investors likely talking their books who implore people to "do something!" with their money because ... activity is good, right?
  • Hi @rforno
    Interesting take; as I still observe CNBC, although offering real market info; still strikes me as a "game show" presentation. Bloomberg, IMHO; is cerebral and yes one may say, "boring". With Bloomberg, I generally feel like I'm attending an ongoing update of a "markets economic class"; versus thinking I might be eligible for an audience prize if I stay tuned on CNBC.
    Everyone will have their own take of these business programs; but I know I actually learn from Bloomberg's presentation and format.
  • edited January 2020
    Yup. Exactly my sentiment.

Admittedly, I'm also somewhat personally biased - Bloomberg always treated me right/respectfully/maturely as a guest both before and while on-air. CNBC, the one time I went on, treated me as a sideshow where I got in maybe 10 words in b/c the other guy was the bigger-name pundit for the segment despite having zero domain experience in what we were talking about.
    catch22 said:

Hi @rforno
    Interesting take; as I still observe CNBC, although offering real market info; still strikes me as a "game show" presentation. Bloomberg, IMHO; is cerebral and yes one may say, "boring". With Bloomberg, I generally feel like I'm attending an ongoing update of a "markets economic class"; versus thinking I might be eligible for an audience prize if I stay tuned on CNBC.
    Everyone will have their own take of these business programs; but I know I actually learn from Bloomberg's presentation and format.

• edited January 2020
    I’m still searching for a replacement for Louis Rukeyser!:) Nothing the past 20 years even comes close to matching that weekly serving of wit wisdom and humor (sometimes sacrilege) along with a focus on long-term investing, all interspersed with great interviews with the likes of John Templeton, Peter Lynch and Henry Kaufman. The market could fall 10-20% that week and you’d still feel bright-eyed and optimistic after watching the show.

NBR was a class act. While I didn’t much watch it in recent years, Bill Griffeth and Sue Herera always went down easy. Both top professionals and seemed to avoid the politics that pervades CNBC’s daytime business programming. Perfect show for a working stiff who can’t follow the markets all day and just needs a good recap with some incisive interviews thrown in.

FWIW - Bloomberg TV is currently hyping a new Friday 6:00 PM show that they expect to replicate some of the marvel of the original PBS Wall Street Week (Not a chance IMHO). However, the new show may partially satisfy those looking for something to replace NBR. Here’s a link to the show’s promo: https://www.newscaststudio.com/2019/09/13/bloomberg-borrowing-wall-street-week-moniker-for-new-program/

For daytime “background noise” I leave Bloomberg on. They also cover other national / international news and are a cut more “professional” in their approach, I think, than CNN. While some claim this leads to more frequent trading and less effective market behavior, I’d say that depends on the individual and why one watches. A good well organized plan (preferably written down somewhere) IMHO goes a long way in keeping one sober and with fingers off the “buy” / “sell” buttons. Others may disagree.
  • hank said:

NBR was a class act. While I didn’t much watch it in recent years, Bill Griffeth and Sue Herrera always went down easy. Both top professionals and seemed to avoid the politics that pervades NBC’s daytime business programming. Perfect show for a working stiff who can’t follow the markets all day and just needs a good recap with some incisive interviews thrown in..

They're OK. I miss Paul Kangas wishing me the "best of good buys" each evening, though. :) His successors Susie Gharib and Tom Hudson were a good team, too. Then the show got bought by private equity and got glammed up with VR charts and the quality dropped bigtime. CNBC then swooped in to buy them -- I was actually a guest in their DC studio their last day as an independent show, which was kind of surreal, seeing most of the folks pretty much shell-shocked.
  • edited January 2020
    @rforno - Agree. With Kangas and Gharub it was a “must-watch”. Thanks for the memories ...

After posting (above) I started thinking about Lou’s last PBS appearance - which I happened to view live. He’d been unceremoniously “axed” earlier that week for reasons I never understood. (But guess his viewers were getting too old). Did Lou ever let PBS have it - right between the eyes! Really raked them over, as only Lou could. Was so (choose your adjective: pointed, nasty, on-target, delicious ) that PBS pulled the taped edition intended for later time zones that night.:)