Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Charles Bolin, MFO commentator. Funds that do well; with falling $/rising inflation write

You're gonna need more than 1 cup, 1 glass or 1 bottle of your chosen beverage for this read. So, plan for some time and absorb. Heck, read the article more than once.
Don't know how to tag you here, Charles; but thank you for the in depth write, and sharing. One can imagine the time involved.

ARTICLE

As always, remain curious about life,
Catch

Comments

• Nice find @catch22. Thanks.
  • I fundamentally disagree with a lot of Charles's viewpoints (for example he believes the economy is in the "latter stages of an expansion" whereas I think the exact opposite is true) but his articles are some of the finest on the web and I always read them. As Catch said - remain curious about life. Thank you Charles.
  • edited January 2020
    Simon said:

I fundamentally disagree with a lot of Charles's viewpoints (for example he believes the economy is in the "latter stages of an expansion" whereas I think the exact opposite is true) but his articles are some of the finest on the web and I always read them. As Catch said - remain curious about life. Thank you Charles.

Umm ... Are you of the belief the economy is in the early stages of expansion? I haven’t heard anyone voice that view in a while.

• Thanks @hank. I was thinking of the same reply.
  • edited January 2020
    Umm....yes I do. It's not about what you can see in the rear-view mirror (recency bias) but what is ahead from a longer term perspective. Secular bull markets in stocks last about 20 years and the current bull is only 6-7 years old (2013). Much, much higher asset prices lie ahead in the coming years driven by technology, new industries, and demographics.
  • @Simon - Interesting. Thanks.
  • Thanks to all for the comments, whether you agree or disagree. Especially to you, Catch, thank you. I write because of what I learn from the research and from the readers. I learned about Portfolio Visualizer and Mutual Fund Observer from readers.

Part if the February MFO Newsletter is about secular markets. It makes the case why I believe that we are in a cyclical bull market within a secular bear market.

For me as an investor, when the S&P 500 went down 1.8% Friday, my accounts went down about 0.2%. Each month, I look at what is working and what is not, and make small changes.

Best wishes
  • edited February 2020
    Regarding bull market history...
    https://am.jpmorgan.com/gi/getdoc/1383636191833
  • By the way, lynnbolin2021 is Charles Lynn Bolin. Thanks for the JPMorgan link, Stillers.
  • For me as an investor, when the S&P 500 went down 1.8% Friday, my accounts went down about 0.2%. Each month, I look at what is working and what is not, and make small changes.
    That is the way to assess one's portfolio allocation. Can't image retiring near latter half 2008 as market fell of the cliff, especially when it is stock-heavy.