Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How's your 401(k) doing-401(k)s hit records as workers sock away more, stocks jump

edited February 2020 in Fund Discussions
https://www.yahoo.com/news/401-k-hit-records-workers-112754438.html

NEW YORK (AP) — How's your 401(k) doing?

President Donald Trump likes to ask that question around the country, sometimes throwing out big gains like 90% or 95%. The average 401(k) did indeed hit a record last year, although its growth was considerably less than that.

The average 401(k) balance rose 17% last year to $112,300 from the end of 2018, according to a review of 17.3 million accounts by Fidelity Investments. The average individual retirement account, or IRA, balance rose the same percentage to $115,400

Comments

• edited February 2020
    “The average 401(k) balance rose 17% last year to $112,300 from the end of 2018, according to a review of 17.3 million accounts by Fidelity Investments. The average individual retirement account, or IRA, balance rose the same percentage to $115,400”.

- Socking away more ? The balance increases reported don’t reflect that, since the S&P rose 31+% in 2019 (according to the article).

- Are these numbers for only Fidelity’s clients? Or are they referencing data for the total of all U.S. retirement savers? If only Fidelity, numbers may not be representative.

- Do the reported balances represent all retirement plans - or just those where the holder hasn’t yet retired? (Let’s hope it’s the former.)

- I contended a while back (some other thread) that worker contributions tend to increase when markets are richly valued. Fidelity’s observations might support that.
  • hank said:

“The average 401(k) balance rose 17% last year to $112,300 from the end of 2018, according to a review of 17.3 million accounts by Fidelity Investments. The average individual retirement account, or IRA, balance rose the same percentage to $115,400”.

- Socking away more ? The balance increases reported don’t reflect that, since the S&P rose 31+% in 2019 (according to the article).

- Are these numbers for only Fidelity’s clients? Or are they referencing data for the total of all U.S. retirement savers? If only Fidelity, numbers may not be representative.

- Do the reported balances represent all retirement plans - or just those where the holder hasn’t yet retired? (Let’s hope it’s the former.)

- I contended a while back (some other thread) that worker contributions tend to increase when markets are richly valued. Fidelity’s observations might support that.

By whatever means it takes to increase a 401k value. Doesn't matter what the market valuations are. It is simply picking the correct investment for one's age and retirement horizon.

• Hi @hank
    You noted: "- I contended a while back (some other thread) that worker contributions tend to increase when markets are richly valued. Fidelity’s observations might support that."

Based upon my observations regarding 401k/403b plan participants over many years; the participants have a chosen amount of money placed each pay period into their plan, regardless of what the markets are doing.

One may suspect there is a very small percentage (less than 5%) of these participants who actually pay attention to the markets. Those who do pay attention may alter some of their allocations periodically; but not likely the contribution amount, unless there is a change in their overall financial circumstance.

My inflation adjusted 2 cents worth
    Catch