Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

BUY - SELL - OR PONDER February 2020

2»

Comments

• edited February 2020
    I think the equity market has quite a ways to correct still, so won't touch that for a while. But I will say the muni bond funds I bought in the past month or so were my bright spot today, along with IAU of course (thank you @FD1000 for the NHMAX and NVHAX suggestions).

Were high yield munis a one day reprieve from the market volatility or truly a safe haven going forward? I don't know. NHMAX up .43% today, NVHAX up .19%.
  • @MikeM For awhile means what 10-15-20 % drop ? I missed my chance back in 2018 4/th quarter drop.
    Derf
  • edited February 2020
    With the S&P 500 Index is approaching what I feel is good support (3,100 to 3,000) range I did a little equity buying (around the edges) today in a couple of my good dividend paying equity mutual funds that have yields of better than 3%. In comparison, the US10YrT closed today with a yield of 1.33%. I'm now leaning more towards the good equity dividend payers over fixed income while equities are "on sale." I have the S&P 500 Index currently off its 52 week high by about 8% as I write.
  • edited February 2020
    Old_Skeet did a little equity buying today in a couple of good dividend paying funds with yields north of 3%. In comparison, I have the US10YrT closing with a yield of only 1.33% as I write. I'm now leaning more towards equity income more so than I am fixed income.
  • Old_Skeet said:

Old_Skeet did a little equity buying today in a couple of good dividend paying funds with yields north of 3%. In comparison, I have the US10YrT closing with a yield of only 1.33% as I write. I'm now leaning more towards equity income more so than I am fixed income.

Vanguard Equity Income Fund. VEIRX. Wifey did great in that one.
  • Crash: VEIRX. down over 6 % during this correction.
    Derf

• Sold out of one of my fairly recently-bought REITS (OPI) for a small profit and a few quarters of dividends. Been wanting to reduce the number of REITS I own in taxable.
  • That Value Line allocation fund has held up pretty well so far. I think it's still too early to buy anything however. More manure loaded up to hit the fan.
  • Mark said:

That Value Line allocation fund has held up pretty well so far. I think it's still too early to buy anything however. More manure loaded up to hit the fan.

Yup. And there's been a breakdown in communication, with the switcheroo we wanted to do. All we've lost are papers and some postage money, so far. I even called Value Line for assistance in filling-out the papers, before we sent them--- WITH a Medallion guaranty. Too many days have gone by. ..... And at MassMutual, on the other end? The genius I spoke to neglected to mention that what we want can be done even WITHOUT any forms. It can be done "over the phone," so I'm told--- TODAY. I tell ya, I'm surrounded by idiots. Or, at the very least, I'm surrounded by people who can't think. Or are instructed by their bosses not to think. Because when things make too much sense, stuff can actually get accomplished.
  • Hi guys,
    Hope all is well with you....it's only money. You're still vertical, so all is well. Did nothing so far. Waiting for tomorrow to see what happens. No one will want to buy before the weekend, so Monday or Tuesday will be big. This is overblown, as usual. A year from now, things should be good, so be stout......have a longneck or 2. And think long term. I have losers who are going to be sold at some point, so this is good. It's a weeding process. The buy I want to make is VWINX. Have been waiting for this. So let's go down. Started investing in 1980....Dow.....less than a thousand. Why run now, boys? Hell! Only a fool would sell now....YES!!
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited February 2020
    Hi @Puddnhead: VWINX is performing well and is down only about 3.4% off its 52 week high. And, its five year total return has averaged about six per cent per year. However, it's yield is a little low for my taste at about 2.8%. But, its total return is superb. My hybrid income sleeve sports a yield of about 3.65% with an average total return of a little better than five percent over the same five year period.
  • edited February 2020
    Started positions this morning in BCE, CSCO, and EADSY in my trading account as they've gone on sale and blown right thru my desired buy points. (Already hold CSCO in my long-long term account.)
    Opened position in WRK last night, too.

All set to DRIP, of course.
  • FYI: The I class VLAIX is available at Vanguard for 1K in an IRA -- normally 100K in a regular account. $20TF.
  • edited March 2020
    Earlier in the week I added to a couple of my good dividend paying equity funds when the S&P 500 was down -8% (Wednesday) and then again at -12% (Friday).

Based upon recent stock and bond market movements ... I ponder ... should I continue to add to my stock funds as stocks are oversold; and (or) perhaps, trim from my bond funds as bonds are overbought? Hopefully, the FOMC will cut rates helping both stock and bond values? And, with this anticapted rate cut ... in mind ... I'll just rock along and watch for a while longer and see what the FOMC does. I'm pretty close to being fully allocated in both equities and bonds within my asset allocation. I'll probally wait towards the end of March and then square my asset allocation.

Sometimes, it pays to just sit!

• Hi Skeeter,
    Yeah, I agree with you. I added Friday about 3:45pm. How did I know right after I bought, the S&P went from -2.3% to -0.8% or so. Why???!!! It was Friday......getting weaker into the close. That's why I bought. No one wants to hold over the weekend.....no? So,.....why??? All I can say is it must be political. Anyway, don't sell bonds. I still think we go to 0%, so there's money to be made. Saying all that, I did buy FXAIX because I didn't know what else to do.....lol.
    God bless
    the Pudd

• The former trader in me totally saw the "rip your face off" action into and after the Friday close (when the futures ROARED positively higher) -- given this week's action, it was pretty predictable imho. And RUMINT was that there might be some coordinated central bank action over the weekend off-and-on during the day as well .. but I agree, I doubt ppl wanted to be overly short going into the weekend, just in case. Asia's open on Sunday will be interesting!
    Puddnhead said:

Hi Skeeter,
    Yeah, I agree with you. I added Friday about 3:45pm. How did I know right after I bought, the S&P went from -2.3% to -0.8% or so. Why???!!! It was Friday......getting weaker into the close. That's why I bought. No one wants to hold over the weekend.....no? So,.....why??? All I can say is it must be political. Anyway, don't sell bonds. I still think we go to 0%, so there's money to be made. Saying all that, I did buy FXAIX because I didn't know what else to do.....lol.
    God bless
    the Pudd

• edited February 2020
    @rforno - Doesn't that massive rip higher at the close run counter to the usual condition of wanting to be out of the market over the weekend during times of uncertainty like now for example? Struck me as strange also. It's hard to tell these days when so much of the market action is occurring via machine/program trades.
  • I believe the market bounced up at the end of the day Friday as soon as the FED hinted they would intervene in this market drop.

• No, I viewed it as short-covering heading into the weekend, just in case anything happens to kick the markets higher for next week. Nobody wants to be caught flat-footed or too far on the wrong side of a trade/market momentum when the markets re-open during times like this.
    Mark said:

@rforno - Doesn't that massive rip higher at the close run counter to the usual condition of wanting to be out of the market over the weekend during times of uncertainty like now for example? Struck me as strange also. It's hard to tell these days when so much of the market action is occurring via machine/program trades.