Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar: the most resilient international stock funds

Morningstar today ran an analysis of which funds have the best downside capture ratio during the current panic, which they date as 2/19 - 3/9/2020.

Slightly surprising:

Best: Matthews Asia Growth & Income (MACSX), 69.5%
2. First Eagle Overseas (SGOVX), 70.7%
3. Matthews India (MINDX), 71.4%
4. FPA International Value (FPIVX), 71.6%
5. Matthews Asia Dividend (MAPIX), 74.1%

One almost would have suspected that being at the heart of the storm - i.e., Asia - would have sunk the Matthews folks. Nope.

Best US equity funds?
Royce Special Equity (RYSEX), 63.5%
Yacktman Focused (YAFFX), 69.7%
Yacktman (YACKX), 71.6%
First Eagle US Value (FEVAX), 77.0%
FMI Common Stock (FMMIX), 77.4%

Royce. Hmmm. A lot of cash in the portfolio and an averse to leveraged (i.e., debt ridden) companies helps. The others keep cropped up on our "best of" screens.

As ever,

David

Comments

• edited March 2020
    I sold RYSEX last December after holding it since 2012. I keep a shadow portfolio at M* of everything I have bought so I can see how smart or stupid I have been.

Let's just say I don't miss it now. Maybe I will some months down the road. But I doubt it.

I bought at 19.9 per share back then. And the most recent quote -- from yesterday I suppose -- had it at 14.31. I was able to make a little money off it in December to put into bonds.

I held FPIVX once upon a time. And I kept FMIJX. I think (hope) I'll eventually end up on the upside there.
  • I do own some of the above funds.
    WABAC, I think you may have had a typo on FPVIX. I do own FPIVX myself.
  • I do own some of the above funds.
    WABAC, I think you may have had a typo on FPVIX. I do own FPIVX myself.

Thanks for the tip.

I should stick to typing them out the long way, and let folks look up the tickers if they're inclined.
  • The symbol for the FMI fund is FMIMX
  • The symbol for the FMI fund is FMIMX

I was actually comparing FMI's international fund to the FPA fund referenced in the OP. So I think I stumbled to broken-clock competence on that one.

While the strategies are likely quite different, I am more comfortable with one than the other.

• I have owned first eagle overseas since it’s inception very happy with it I gravitate towards funds that survive the downtrend well even if I don’t capture all the uptrend
  • Using @David_Snowball time frame (2/19 - today) I don't see how M* missed MCSMX:

Chart comparison to oversea list with MCSMX added:

https://screencast.com/t/nU2dzaPP
  • I need to read more carefully: the Morningstar article was limited to the Morningstar 500 funds, which tend to be larger funds with full analyst coverage. That would explain the MCSMX absence.