Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

BUY -- SELL -- PONDER -- MARCH

Hi guys,
Some observations in my port that have me thinking. ADEVX went down. Am surprised.....it's my first overseas bond fund. It did worse than PONAX, which I thought would be down. Surprised.....must think about this.
Mid CAPS hit hard....worse than large, which stands to reason. Glad I have no small caps. The worst will get cut on the rebound. It's time. What stood out this week was EM. It did better than most U.S. stuff. Real estate also did well. Added to it this week. The very bad......defense.....FSDAX. They shot it. Then MLPs also went south. I may have to look at this space.....it's cheap. Healthcare also did poorly. I think it's Bernie maybe. Bonds and VWINX did well. It's why they're in the port. It was their time to shine, and they did it well. What I thought would get pounded the worst would be tech. While it got hit, it was not the worst or as bad as I thought. We'll see on the rebound what happens. This is an area I really believe in, so we'll see. This showed me where I need to cut and add, so it was good. I only hope it ends soon because I've had enough for now. Also I would like to know what surprised you that week.....good or bad......in your port.
God bless
the Pudd

Comments

• The Bad for me was FAMEX. Sure it was just one week, but I was hoping it would hold up better. PSGAX and MGGPX which are my more aggressive funds held up better???
  • I'm just hoping my overweighting in international stocks pays off in my taxable accounts.
  • March 04, market back up. Early on March 05, Asia is up. See-saw. Stay the course. Maybe I'll give myself permission to start collecting and using my monthly dividends when they reach a predictable and solid $300 per month--- rather than re-investing them. My worst performer through this downturn is my smid-cap fund: PRDSX, but it's not been bad at all. I'm overweight bonds, and so my total portf. has not fallen by much. And remember: this is a downturn from the pinnacle of historic highs.
  • edited March 2020
    Mom's retired portfolio high57%s bonds/lows40% stocks went down 1.5% previously from all time high.
    We kept adding / bought more fidelity2015 and FBND

For our broketage portfolio-added VPPCX VGSTX VHT BRK.B, VDE recently after div collected march first. Our 401k/tsp still 80s20s distributions, most of/bulk of new monies get placed in lifecycle2040 funds
    Also stated new positions in BAC.PRM

Regards
  • edited March 2020
    Newly investing in APFDX and ARTJX today. Also VALIX and VLAAX. Need to take second look at VGPMX I had held on to since Wellington became manager. Wondering if RYJUX is a good idea as a hedge in my IRA.

• Started position in VDIGX in taxable today.

Added $1000 more from my miniscule cash pile to RWMGX in my 403(b). My last out-of-cycle addition was 3 weeks ago when the fund was 15% higher.
  • @rforno I've been debating between VDIGX and VIG for some of my dry powder. Did you research VIG too by any chance?

• Not really, no. VIG is an ETF (I rarely use them) and is indexed (which I don't like); VDIGX is actively managed and only holds like 40 positions ... VIG has like 150.
    expatsp said:

@rforno I've been debating between VDIGX and VIG for some of my dry powder. Did you research VIG too by any chance?

• @rforno. That makes sense. They have similar mandates (dividend growth) and near identical performance over every time period, and VIG's cheaper for me to buy at Schwab, which is why I'm considering it. But yes, I'm leery of ETFs too.
  • edited March 2020
    Like many, I've always maintained a list of things to buy when all hell breaks loose. I really think the baby is being tossed out with the bathwater. Tech, utilities are being punished without a noteworthy notice of earnings reductions, at least to this point. Even some of the banks are approaching really compelling values.

Some of things I'm really looking at to either add, or add to...MSFT (surprise!), ABBV, BME, UTF, UTG, HQH, AOFAX, PRGTX, WPC.

I'll wait a bit though...we have some pain yet to come, IMHO.

• Added to BTI, CSCO in my long-long term account, plus added BIP.

Bought BIP in my 'active' account, plus regained a position in CHSCM preferred which I sold a while back and has now come back to par. Orders sitting for MPW (rebuying), DMLP, and perhaps adding to other positions as opportunity presents.

Nearly everything I own is bought w/an eye on holding for the long-term.
  • edited March 2020
    Typically wallstreet recovers ...testings point dows maybe 21700...we will see next few eks.. we been here before

Bought vde and vti today small amounts
  • Been deploying some cash to PDI
  • Old_Skeet has been buying in his equity income sleeve. Today, added to IDIVX.
  • edited March 2020
    @ Old_Skeet - Hope your move works. I’ve been buying too (but my knees are shaking). All relates to time-horizon. I’ve simply decided to live an extra 10 years so everything has time to bounce back.

Been thinking a lot about that “barometer” of yours. Has the glass shattered yet? Did any springs pop out this week?

Regards.
  • edited March 2020
    I am more of a lurker and not post though I have been coming here since 2005.

I rolledover my 401K to an IRA in 2018 Nov/Dec period and kept the funds in money market fund thinking market was high and that I would wait for a correction. It was a painful wait as market continue to go up and I was repenting. I invested a bit here and there but not much. 

Started investing in the last two almost on all days when market was going down like how Chang does:-), and invested almost half of that cash. 

In the last two weeks:

Bought my first stock BRK.B since 2006 (stopped investing directly in stocks from then)
    Increased my stake in VDIGX making it the largest fund that I own pushing VMVFX to second position
    Invested more in VMVFX
    Starrted new positons in VWIGX, VWUSX, PRNEX, USAGX
    Reallocated 401k funds from Trowprice 2035 fund to that fund, American balanced fund in equal portions in addition to starting small positions in VWILX and TRBCX
    Sold ARTKX after holding since 2006
    Sold HJPSX after holding it for an year+ and consolidated 
    Initiated a small position in TREMX (a wish I had to keep emeriging markets focussing on 3 regions - Asia, Latin America and Emerging Europe, and use rebalncing between them. Doubt, it will work as they all have high correlation these days, but giving it a try. Since most diversifified EM funds are Asia bent, so I am treating ARTYX as that, and hold PRLAX and TREMX)
    In the last few months:

Initiated startING positions in WAINX and MCSMX
    Sold SFGIX and increased stake in ARTYX
    Increated VDIGX stake in small amounts 
  • edited March 2020
    Hi @hank, Thanks for making comment. Actually, the barometer has done it's job for me quite well through the years. Currently, it is suggesting that I go long and increase my equity allocation up to 60% equity. However, I plan to hold my equity allocation towards the low to mid 40's range. Since, I have been buying the decline, in steps, on the rebound I'll let my equity allocation move upwards towards to the mid 40's (percent) before I rebalance as I can overweight equities by up to 5% when felt warranted. At age 72+ no need to get cavalier. And, also, the barometer is configured to run a 50/50 portfolio.

As for my asset allocation of 20% cash, 40% income and 40% equity seems right for me and is now being put to test in this turbulent market environment. Thus far, it is working as I thought it would. No sleepless nights for me. Below is how it works.

My all weather asset allocation of 20% cash, 40% income and 40% equity affords me everything necessary to meet my needs now being in the distribution phase of investing. The benefit of this asset allocation is that it provides sufficient income, maximizes diversification, minimizes volatility, and provides long-term returns.

The 20% held in cash area provides me ample cash should I need a cash draw over and above what my portfolio generates plus it can provide the capital necessary to fund a special investment position (spiff) should I choose to open one during a stock market pullback. In addition, cash helps stabilizes a portfolio during stock market volatility. Example of investments held in this area are cash, money market mutual funds and CD's.

The 40% held in the income area provides me ample income generation to meet my income needs in retirement. It is a well diversified area that incorporates a good number of income generating type funds. Some examples of investments held in this area are ISFAX, PONAX & PMAIX.

The 40% held in the equity area provides me some dividend income along with some growth, that equities generally provide, that offsets the effects of inflation. Some examples of investments held in this area are NEWFX, SVAAX & SPECX.

Generally, for my income distributions, I take no more than a sum equal to what one half of my five year average total return has been. In this way principal grows over time.
  • edited March 2020
    @Ol’Skeet - Thanks for the elongated response and to your continued sharing of the barometer. To me what’s crucial is that each have his own philosophy and approach in place so that when these black swans swim into view you have some confidence in whatever plan of action you follow.

As I stated earlier, just tacking on an additional 10 years to your life expectancy is one option.:)

Regards

BTW - You live in a beautiful part of the country. Driving the 4-5 hours between Charlotte and HHI with a car that had a gaping blind spot on the left side / (terrible SVM) was terrifying. Roads bumper to bumper with 18 wheelers and changing lanes involved lot of a praying. Guess they didn’t name that one the “Billy Graham Parkway” for nothing!:)
  • edited March 2020
    @hank, The roads in the Queen City leave a lot to be desired. That is what I still drive my 2006 Jeep Commander and our late model car usually stays parked. When I was in Panama during the month of February we rode in and I drove a Toyota Rush. I really liked it as it has a higher road clerance than the Rava 4 but about the same size. Currently, the Rush is not available in the States and is exported to countries with poor road conditions. Hello, Charlotte.
  • Good to hear from you @mrc70. We had the same (plan) back in 2018. As I said before I cashed out 2 401k's around 3 qter 2018. About 1/8 of proceeds were invested sometime later. Yes I nibbled here & there since that 1/8 buy in. Since the down draft hit I've made 4 or 5 buys only to see it swept away the next day.
    At this time will keep enough dry powder to cover RMD's for next 5 years & a new vehicle.
    I'm finding it hard to keep injecting the dry powder , but with falling interest rates low again, only way to make a buck.
    mrc70 are you still shopping or adding to new purchases ?

Different strokes 4 different folks, Derf
  • edited March 2020
    As noted elsewhere on MFO I've used the downturn to buy a small amount of ASML stock. 25@246 followed by another 25@240. Currently @246, but who knows what's next?
  • edited March 2020
    Anyone buy today
    Dows +9.3%

Bought BAC and CM, also added more vanguard-div etf

Will wait for bonds Divs come in over weekend...may add more spy or vti next wk

Hope DOWS won't go [-9%] monday
  • Derf said:

Good to hear from you @mrc70. We had the same (plan) back in 2018. As I said before I cashed out 2 401k's around 3 qter 2018. About 1/8 of proceeds were invested sometime later. Yes I nibbled here & there since that 1/8 buy in. Since the down draft hit I've made 4 or 5 buys only to see it swept away the next day.
    At this time will keep enough dry powder to cover RMD's for next 5 years & a new vehicle.
    I'm finding it hard to keep injecting the dry powder , but with falling interest rates low again, only way to make a buck.
    mrc70 are you still shopping or adding to new purchases ?

Different strokes 4 different folks, Derf

Hi Derf,

I still have good amount of Cash in MM.
    Hopefully, I will still get good opporutinites to move rest of the funds from MM to good funds.

- Mrc
  • Hi Boyz,
    So you think you can tell heaven from hell...
    Can you see a top from a fall? Who are you?
    The one who yet can stand and know the what from the where......the who from the why....from the I to the U.
    Can you tell where yet we will go? Do not be afraid! He who yet stands before me .... who stood at the reservoir.....still believes in US, bros.
    We will walk on.....for a time.
    We go higher.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited March 2020
    This morning so far I have bought ...

CHSCN below par. Had it years ago, sold it, and have been looking to pounce on CHS preferreds if/when they ever came back under. I picked up CHSCM the other day, too. Bought both in larger quantities and will likely add to them if they drop in any meaningful way over time. (Both yielding over 7%)

MPW (REIT). Bought it back for $2 less than I bought it last year when I rode it up and sold @ the peak earlier this year.

Orders out for OFC (a cyber-REIT I know well) and WRK (packaging).

Presently stalking BME, BST, TXN, CAT, and either TPL or BWEL as spec land plays.

All dividends are reinvesting. If prices continue to drop, fine. I'm using time as my ally here since I'm still in accumulation stage.
  • edited March 2020
    BME & BST for me as well. Might even grab some GDX today. At $19 almost seems like an early Xmas present.

Also getting close on my QQQ @ $160 lowball.
  • Added vanguard div etf and more vti today
  • edited March 2020
    Added to DODBX today.

Thought about OPGSX - but it appears the miners are up today despite big declines in gold and silver.

Yikes - DJI down 3,000. Just slipped a bit into PRWCX as well (2 minutes before close).

(I don’t believe the world is about to end.)
  • edited March 2020
    Mark said:

“ ... almost seems like an early Xmas present”.

@Mark - My thoughts as well. Haven’t looked yet, but market levels must be getting back to about where they were sometime in 2016.

Just checked. On last day of trading in 2016 the Dow finished at 19,762.

Today, it closed at 20,188.
  • edited March 2020
    Maybe lots more pain for 2 -4 wks, at least until numbers covid19 stabilize or go down at least usa/eu...severe contractions globally at least short terms