Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PDI / PCI and other PIMCO bond CEFs

Anyone have an educated guess as to whether this is good buying opportunity, or if their formula of mixing leverage & high yield debt is now simply toxic sludge squared?

Comments

• Hi Expatsp,

Not sure anyone can give you a straight answer here. Here is what Gundlach mentioned yesterday in his webcast: some CEFs are trading at low prices/wide discounts, BUT if they own energy then they DESERVE those valuations/discounts. Not sure what PDI and PCI own. I bought some CEFs two days ago (most had 0 leverage) and they are all down 10-20% today. So not sure when the pain will end for CEFs. According to Gundlach (again), there is a liquidity problem.

from his tweet: As if we needed more evidence of a liquidity squeeze crushing asset prices, today I received panic offers of blue chip (though not at all trophy) art at slashed prices.

What I can say is that people where crazy to pay a +30% premium on some CEFs a few months ago. Now they are cheaper. But as with everything they can become even more cheaper.

Good luck to all of us.