Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

12 Bond Mutual Funds and ETFs to Buy for Protection

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/investing/T052-S001-12-bond-mutual-funds-and-etfs-to-buy-protection/index.html

12 Bond Mutual Funds and ETFs to Buy for Protection

As the stock market continues to take a beating, nervous investors look to bond mutual funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) for protection and sanity. After all, fixed income typically provides regular cash and lower volatility when markets hit turbulence.

Comments

• You can't make this up. IOFAX and IOFIX are one of the funds featured in this article. It also includes MINT which I bailed out of earlier this week as it was minting capital losses daily !
  • In this stressful time, which cries for serious and thoughtful information exchange, why MFO is being cluttered with garbage like this is completely beyond my comprehension. It echoes the performance from the very top of the present administration: let's keep on chattering about how everything will be just fine very soon, and keep up all of the ridiculous happy-talk. Unbelievable.
  • Alcohol?
  • edited March 2020
    Ego, more than likely. "If I keep on shouting, maybe somebody will notice me". Again, following the example from the top.
  • I agree with @Old_Joe. @JohnN I have asked you this before. Will you please read the articles and really consider how valuable they are before you post them. You are cluterring up the board with some really bad articles. Some are.also good but many are a waste of our time.. please be.selective or you devalue this board.
  • edited March 2020
    Old_Joe said:

In this stressful time, which cries for serious and thoughtful information exchange, why MFO is being cluttered with garbage like this is completely beyond my comprehension. It echoes the performance from the very top of the present administration: let's keep on chattering about how everything will be just fine very soon, and keep up all of the ridiculous happy-talk. Unbelievable.

Old_Joe said:

Ego, more than likely. "If I keep on shouting, maybe somebody will notice me". Again, following the example from the top.

People deal with stress in different ways. That’s what you’re seeing OJ. Nobody’s diminishing the dire straits the nation finds itself in. Some folks want to keep buying as markets fall. Nothing to make you forget about the 15-20% week’s loss in your IRA than placing a bet on a new pony or two. Some people drink or turn to entertainment. Since the board is dedicated pretty much to financial matters, you’ll find it here - the good investment stories, the bad ones, and everything in between, even though we know that the health crisis vastly overshadows those pursuits.

I watch or read 4, 5, 6 hours news daily - a real junkie, always been. Bloomberg’s on a lot. Usually catch both the ABC & CBS network wrap-ups evenings. A bit of CNN and MSNBC. Overall, I’ll give them high marks on this one. Good objective reporting and advice. CNN had a hellova good discussion the other night with several top medical people along with the deliberate David Gergen, a veteran commentator with DC experience I’ve always respected. But a lot of people refuse to listen because the “news” networks have for so many years saturated the audience with sensational overly hyped “man-bites-dog” stories designed to pull in high ratings so that when the crisis of our lifetimes comes along, many dismiss it as just another sensationalized episode that will be over in a couple weeks.

Shopping today in an area supermarket the folks I encountered seemed oblivious to what’s going on. Bemused that anyone was concerned about the C Virus, which is progressing northward toward them. I don’t know how typical that is. A lot of people here have taken this seriously and likely are staying away from stores and other places people congregate. So, the ones I met are likely atypical - but do represent a certain element. I suppose only when our Governor declares a lockdown in maybe another week and / or their loved ones take ill will they face up to the situation.

Unfortunately (perhaps fortunately) this isn’t a political discussion board. My sense from the news I digest is that there’s a lot of blame to be placed on our national leadership for getting a late start in this, ignoring the seriousness early on and misrepresenting certain facets of the evolving situation even today. When you fire the competents who are willing to stand up to you and surround yourself with say-nothing incompetents, than these eventualities are likely to occur. So I’m angry. Am I gonna waste my time rolling around in the mud with the “other side”? No. Got more than enough to worry about right now and deeply concerned about many friends and loved ones spread across this vast land - many of whom I’ve been in touch with.

God bless California and New York. God help us all.

• MikeW said:

I agree with @Old_Joe. @JohnN I have asked you this before. Will you please read the articles and really consider how valuable they are before you post them. You are cluterring up the board with some really bad articles. Some are.also good but many are a waste of our time.. please be.selective or you devalue this board.

+2
  • edited March 2020
    Maybe we need (1) more posters putting up useful stories or questions and than (2) some other posters bumping them over into the “Discussions +” side of the board? No bump. No clutter. That was the original intent of the “Discussions +” arrangement. Personally, the volume of stories isn’t too much of an issue for me to wade through.

If folks want to discuss good investing topics I’m “all-ears”. Give it a listen. But I can’t advise on where to shelter any more than the flag pole on the corner can. Pretty much it seems folks are shell-shocked. It took about a year in the 07-09 crash to get to about where we are here in perhaps a month‘s time.Some pretty decent domestic stock funds are off 35% or more YTD. Catch22’s previous observation about the unpredictably divergent market forces still holds true. Rates are swinging wildly. Shorter term stuff’s been murdered recently. Gold’s going nuts as well. Big fall after topping above $1700 month ago. Yesterday miners gained about 15%. Today they gave back half of that. Not much seems to be working. Like to look at various segments of equity markets. Price’s PRLAX (Latin America) was off nearly 40% YTD before today - but actually bounced while the Dow shed 900+ points.

The crash back in 2000 started after the NASDAQ got top-heavy at over 5,000. Today, 20 years later, it broke through 7,000 on the way down. Will it revisit 5000 again?

• Old_Joe said:

In this stressful time, which cries for serious and thoughtful information exchange, why MFO is being cluttered with garbage like this is completely beyond my comprehension. It echoes the performance from the very top of the present administration: let's keep on chattering about how everything will be just fine very soon, and keep up all of the ridiculous happy-talk. Unbelievable.

I've mentioned in the past I don't hang out on MFO that much any more because I used to come here to escape the nonsense. Now, all nonsense is a link to a post on this board. Matter of fact, the more links one posts, the more that person seems to be lauded. It should be about quality not quantity. Unfortunately, everything is a matter of opinion, so WTF do i know?
  • Quite right. I've taken to checking the first poster, the source, of the various discussions. I simply avoid his. I'm out of patience with him. And by him, I mean JohnN. I know nothing about him, never met him. But it is clear that he's using the MFO Board as a personal outlet. Maybe a place to belong. I'm quite sure that most of the valuable and meaty contributions fly right over his head. I see that his use of English indicates, more than likely, that it is not his first language. They say that a sense of humor is the last thing one picks-up when learning a new language. It's likewise impossible to be precise and accurate until one is about 200% fluent. I experience this full-time, every day, surrounded by folks who use awful English as a matter of course. Not just grammar and syntax errors, but pronunciation, too. And we don't get THAT from WRITTEN posts (and worthless LINKS!)