Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Penzey's Spices goes entirely off-line to protect staff and community

In a decision I respect, the folks at Penzeys - who'd already closed their stores - shuttered their online operation. The CEO today wrote:
So along with our stores, as of this past Sunday we’ve closed our warehouse for shipping orders for 3 weeks because it is the right thing to do. There’s lots of essential jobs out there but very-very few that are so essential they can’t shut down for 2-3 weeks. Everyone in America whose job isn’t truly, absolutely critical should be staying home right now. We are doing our part, as should all of you. Go home. Stay home. Really stay home. This isn’t the time for grand meanders around the neighborhood. Save lives by not letting your ability to transmit viruses overwhelm our hospitals and their courageous staffs. Please.

[several paragraphs deleted]

With the nature of the coronavirus the death toll of the next 12-14 days is already virtually carved in stone. For the next 14 days we will pay the price for not taking this seriously and that price will be heartbreaking. But what happens on that 15th day is very much in our hands today. Today is our chance to make a difference. Please do what is right.
It's a hard decision but, I think, more responsible than the rumored impatience in Washington.

Comments

• I vigorously agree. Great company and culture. Full disclosure, their products are staples in my home.
  • I know Penzey's as well and respect them.