Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Best websites for tracking portfolios?

My wife and I have a half-dozen investment portfolios due to separate IRAs, Roths, 401Ks and taxable savings. For many years, I have tracked these different accounts on Morningstar, using their portfolio manager section. However, like many others, I have found the M* website to be increasingly troublesome. The main problem is that the website logs me out every time I leave the site, and sometimes while using it, forcing me to log in repeatedly. My internet service has been slow lately, compounding the problem because it often takes a while to log in.

Can anyone recommend other websites where I can track various portfolios, similar in past functionality to the M* site? That is, where I enter in various funds, shares owned, and view current and past performance over various time periods.

Comments

• I utilize an excel spreadsheet to coordinate my overall portfolio. On a monthly basis I update the shares count by visiting my individual accounts. On a daily basis (or less often) I use YahooFinance to create a comprehensive portfolio of all of my mutual funds, etfs, or stocks. I copy and paste the daily share price into my spreadsheet.

This allows me to pretty closely monitor my overall portfolio and its free.
  • edited March 2020
    @bee- I do the same. Yahoo has worked pretty well, has it?
  • @bee, Same here, except I use Fidelity instead for better consistency on daily NAV than those from Yahoo. With Excel spreadsheet, there is no limit for tracking and analyzing the input data.
  • edited March 2020
    @Sven- is that Fidelity info accessible to a non-Fidelity investor? If so, could you provide a link please?

Thanks- OJ
  • I track our portfolio for years. I use Fidelity FULL VIEW and/or Schwab(it shows up automatically). You need to link each account/broker. And no, I'm not scared my info will be abused. This way I see the aggregate amount per fund across all account/broker and they are accurate including all distributions. It takes 10 minutes to create the links and then you are free for years.
    M* portfolio are ridiculous and not accurate. I gave up on them after using them for several weeks years ago.
  • @Old_Joe, unfortunately it is for Fidelity customers only. I am sure this is available with Schwab and other large brokerages. Need to dig a bit inside their website under tools to uncover all sort of stuff you can use. I encourage you to search in the brokerage(s) you use, and google the terms if necessary.
  • Thanks @FD1000: I've seen this possible at both Schwab & Vanguard, but was leery of combining the two. I would like to hear from others if they have tried linking their accounts & if any problems appeared.
    Thanks, Derf

• I wonder if Quicken might work. I haven't had it in awhile though.
  • I use Personal Capital. Easy and free to setup by linking disparate accounts to the app.
  • Schwab of course provides a daily posting of all Schwab-held assets. But only about 1/3 of our stuff is held at Schwab. I need a listing where I can get the daily NAV of funds held at Schwab, American Funds, and American Century, all aggregated into one list that can be copies and pasted into the spreadsheet. I'll certainly take a look at "Tools" at Schwab to see if there's something there that I've missed. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Add a Non-Schwab Account @Old_Joe Joe it's right below accounts ,when you open that page.
    Derf
  • @Old_Joe, For the same reason you stated above, I use spreadsheet instead. A bit more work but it all work. Also I can do detail analysis on Excel on our portfolio through the up and down cycles, year to year and statistic analysis.

@Mark, Excel can provide capability as Quicken to keep track of your portfolio. I have been using spreadsheet for several decades for work. Now that I subscribe to MFO Premium and there are lots of OEF, CEF, and ETF data available, and they are all in spreadsheet format.
  • Hi @Derf- Yes, adding an entire account is easy, and I have done that with a number of our bank accounts. But I need more granularity: I need to have a consolidated list of all of our individual funds, not just the fund totals.

I've just been over at Schwab, exploring the "Tools", and once again I cannot see a way to do this.

For many years I've done this using M*, where it's easy to construct a portfolio model. Over there, I've got a "portfolio" consisting of one share of each fund, since I have no idea who is able to look at that info and do lord knows what with it. M* updates the share prices daily (with variable accuracy) and I just copy that info and paste it into my spreadsheet where all of the actual data is kept with respect to number of shares etc.

The spreadsheet then calculates the actual totals for each fund and computes the YTD, "since purchase", and "since last entry" gain or loss update for each fund. Sometimes, like now that we're stuck here at home, I do that daily; other times it's weekly or maybe just when I feel like it.

OJ
  • edited March 2020
    @Old_Joe, not sure if this is what you want, but you can link external accounts to Schwab so that the holdings show up in the Schwab account summary. I have my TRP 401k funds listed in my Schwab account summary.

I have not seen that you can view a portfolio breakdown of all those assets though. I'd love to have that.
  • This is a problem I have struggled with as I am unwilling to give my passwords to Personal Capital or Yodele because of security concerns, or link my Vanguard accounts to Schwab or vice versa.

I dont find Schwab portfolio analysis tools very helpful anyway.

I continue to use Quicken ( have for decades) and it seems to work although it is clunky. However it will update the dividends buys and sells pretty easily pulling in data from the brokerage account. I do not keep my passwords in Quicken but paste them in when necessary, nor do I export my portfolio to their web service.

I have set up my own system of asset classes and investment goals on Quicken and put each fund or stock in an appropriate class. Quicken has a link to Morningstar that will produce a portfolio xray report automatically ( although that seems to be down recently for some reason) that is helpful although it doesn't go into enough detail for me. For example it only has domestic and international equities bonds and cash and can't separate out anything else

Quicken will export an excel tab delineated file easily and I import that into a watch list in Portfolio at Morningstar to get regular quotes. it takes a couple of minutes or less and is a lot easier than trying to update the share numbers dividends etc directly at Morningstar.

I haven't had the problem with Morningstar web page crashing on a regular basis as is mentioned above.

I used to use single shares to avoid giving Morningstar any information but I have so many watch lists there I don't think they could figure it out what is real and what is not

• @MikeM and @sma3 - Thanks for your input. I do need a breakdown to the individual fund level, and your confirmation re unavailability @ Schwab is helpful. I find the "total asset" lists that you can construct at Schwab and many other places to be worrisome in this day of hacks almost everywhere. The possibility of some entity knowing where every dollar of our reserves is located scares the hell out of me, to be honest.

While our "portfolio" at M* does list every fund that we own, each is shown as only $1. I don't need M* or anyone else to do the calculations, so they have no need to know the actual number of shares held. All I need is the current NAV.
  • The advantage to M*, when it worked, is that I could track and compare fund returns YTD, and 1,3,5,10 and 15 years. I don’t see how I could do that using a spreadsheet. M* also allows you to customize portfolio views so that it displays yields, expense ratios, standard deviations and other factors. My problem isn’t with their portfolio function, per se, but the fact that the site won’t let me stay logged in. It’s crazy. I utilize dozens of websites that don’t have an issue keeping users logged in, only M*
  • the problem i have with fidelity and most other sites i've tried is that they don't let you sort your holdings by % amount of the total portfolio. seems very basic and i've complained about it at fidelity for years, to no effect.
  • @Tarheel Sorry you get kicked out of M* I haven't had that problem on a regular basis.

Another advantage to having a real portfolio on M* is that you can track it on your phone with the App.

The portfolio tracker is the only reason I have kept my subscription. Their data is worse they cut off other functions regularly and the site is harder and harder to use but it is the only place I have found that will combine all my assets into one big analysis other than Quicken.

I have tried multiple times to get Quicken to add some premium features as it is pretty bare bones but they have never answered.

• edited March 2020
    I have multiple M* portfolios, set up in a custom view arrangement, to track multiple details for each fund. M* is currently working on the recent problem of users not being able to stay signed in. I also use Schwab which has some details I like. For a more independent portfolio management tool, I have used the CNBC portfolio manager in the past, but not currently using it.
  • @Sven - I take it that you have read sma3's remarks pertaining to Quicken. I really can't add anything to that as I use it nearly exactly the same way.
  • @Mark, if you folks manage to get Quicken to do it's job, great. My need evolved away from Qiicken can provided. At work I have "clone" version of institutional funds, they cannot be track readily. So Excel became the tool I use for multiple purposes. The other reason is privacy.
  • I use Excel also but I also use the "RCH_Stock_Market_Functions.xla" function "smfPriceByDate(ticker,date)". The macros are not password protected so you can see what they do. This one simply takes the input and returns the values from Yahoo for the ticker and date requested. It works for all my mutual funds and stock except TSP. As long as Yahoo provides this data, the function should work but Yahoo has been known to break these type functions by changing their formats. Despite this I have found it worth using. I update the spreadsheet each week by making a copy of last week's sheet and renaming it to this week's date. Then I just change the date within the cells and it updates the share price Yahoo finance has for that date. So I have a weekly history of my holdings. I religiously update it but no longer really pay much attention to the result.
    RCH_Stock_Market_Functions
  • edited March 2020
    I use Morningstar's Portfolio Manager set to a custom format.
  • @Anna, thank you for sharing your expertise on Excel. I know enough from the analysis perspective but not so much from tracking. Do you manually input the NAV from TSP website weekly?
  • edited March 2020
    Yes, I go to the TSP site, log in, scroll down to the "Account balance by funds" tab, highlight the lines and copy the lines. Then I "paste special" with the "html" option the copied lines into a blank area of my spreadsheet and copy the part of the information I want to use out of the spread sheet. (the paste special puts the fields into appropriate cell/table columns.) It is long to write but actually only takes seconds once you are logged into TSP. If you set up your spreadsheet to be identical to the pasted items, you won't need the second copy. (If using a mouse, the copy/paste options are found with a right mouse click.) Hope this makes sense. If not, the answer to your question is yes.
  • @Anna, thank you again. I hope your portfolio is holding up well. Please feel free to share your approach and experience with the board.
  • Fido FullView remains quite sketchy and laggy. Perhaps this has been noted already; I certainly have posted such for many years now. It seemed the last few months to have finally settled down and gotten quicker and actually accurate, but tonight is back to its old laggy and outdated ways.

The best I know, and even it is not perfect, is ML My Financial Picture. It too used to lag even within the ML / BoA system, but not so much anymore, and is the one I rely on. If you are a BoA customer it is almost worth it to get a ML brokerage accounts and stick some moneys into and then see whether it properly does the draw and aggregation of everything else you have in other firms.