Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"Core" bond fund holdings

2»

Comments

• beebee
    edited May 2020
    As far as downside risk and upside capture, would an investor be any better off with conservative allocation funds such as Wellesley income...VWINX?
  • I "love" when someone says averages. You can do better than the average and/or find better than average funds. It also depends on when you start and end the results.
    Any time you start before a crash and end after a crash, "safer" higher-credit bonds look better.
    So, if I compare PIMIX to BND from 01/2010 to 01/2018(link). PIMIX did 3 times better and why PIMIX was a major % of my portfolio. Since 01/2018 it wasn't as good but IOFIX was great until end of 02/2020 when I sold it.

Basically, it depends what kind of investor are you, style, goals, retiree or accumulator and more.
  • also informed luck of timing, or ability to tell the future
  • also informed luck of timing, or ability to tell the future
    Or BS ?
  • VWINX is a fine one stop fund for income and some capital gains. It is paying only a little more than a core bond fund but subject to more equity risk. IT lost 8% in the recent crash.
  • sma3 said:

VWINX is a fine one stop fund for income and some capital gains. It is paying only a little more than a core bond fund but subject to more equity risk. IT lost 8% in the recent crash.

Looking at VWINX's most recent Drawdown (-8.5%):
    https://screencast.com/t/HKfu96M9JFC
  • @sma3- I'm sure it will be little comfort, but we find ourselves to be in exactly that situation too. I'd consider sitting tight for six months or so, and hope that we get some sense of where this situation is going to take us. It seems to me that the potential for world-wide financial instability is really strong at this point. I hate that over-used "perfect storm" analogy, but...

OJ
  • @Old_Joe

I agree completely. I think this is not going to be a "V" shaped recovery; It may not even be "U" shaped, but more "L" with a long tail.

All it will take to close movie theaters again is a couple of cases linked to a local theater. Same with restaurants, cruise lines fitness centers.. any business that depends on face to face public interactions etc.

Most REITS have reported collecting less than 70% of the rent owed them in April. How long before that number is lower?

If you can accept a 3 to 5 year stock market sag, I guess you are OK staying in the market, although it was down 80% in 1929- 1933 and did not fully recover until 1954, right?

People really need to consider why they are in the market. IF it is to fund a retirement 20 years away go for it. But if it is to get a dependable income stream for your current retirement I would be very very careful. I would much rather spend principal for a few months to live on than run the risk of a 25% decline

While I doubt the feds will help, maybe by mid to late summer if there is enough contact tracing and testing there will be the ability to identify cases quickly and keep the infection rate low. However, given the way the right wing is "weaponizing" Covid Politics, I think there are likely to be large areas of the country with significant disease for a long time

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/09/us/politics/coronavirus-death-toll-presidential-campaign.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage
  • Who said, "The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."
  • That was John Maynard Keynes.
  • Appropriate.