Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Will there 2nd wave..?

edited June 2020 in Other Investing
Hello

Will Dows 1000 points down today at closing?

First covid19 wave may never ended imho [according to many medical statisticians]

possible massive dive today and next few days. maybe more bloodbaths on Dows Street

Stay hunkered down/ safe

Comments

• Here in Arizona we're going through our first wave.

I'm kind of hoping were just getting through a Memorial Day spike. If not, I'm not sure what it will take to change people's behavior. And we have the 4th of July coming up.
  • possible massive dive today and next few days. maybe more bloodbaths on Dows Street
    The market has been over-brought as many investors think the reopening of business will bring back the market quickly. This short 2-month recovery maybe short lived as the pandemic lingers on until vaccines are available to the general population. Infection cases continue to climb in southern and western states. These cases are likely started over Memorial Day weekends as people gathered and celebrated without any protection and in large masses.
    Houston is likely to be the next epicenter similar to that of NYC back in February. July 4th is upon us. Will people behave better?

As long as US population don't use face covering, it is likely we are still in the first wave as Dr. Fauci described. The second wave when it arrives will be even worse than now. Other Asian countries including New Zealand, Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong are much more successful in controlling their pandemic situation. Somehow US never able to learn from these countries.

On the main street, the employment situation has not improved enough to warrant a healthy recovery. https://reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy/u-s-layoffs-stay-high-as-weak-demand-lingers-despite-businesses-reopening-idUSKBN23W0GA

• Maybe this news will help slow down the increase in confirmed cases in Texas. As the moron said at his rally, "we need to slow down testing".

From Barrons:

Coronavirus Testing Sites Will Lose Federal Funding in July
    Updated June 24, 2020 5:32 pm ET / Original June 24, 2020 11:35 am ET

• The Trump administration is halting federal funding for 13 coronavirus testing facilities at the end of July, including seven in Texas. The Texas testing sites are of particular concern as the state’s cases spike, with more than 5,000 new confirmed cases a day. On Tuesday, Gov. Greg Abbott advised Texans to stay home and gave mayors and county judges the authority to restrict gatherings of more than 100 people.
  • Who needs a "second wave"? The first wave is holding it's own nicely, thanks to morons like our dear leader.
  • edited June 2020
    From where I sit there will be wave after wave after wave until people start treating this as the public health emergency that it is rather than a political issue. See what's happened in New York, Michigan and Minnesota for example where the Governors were ostracized for imposing restrictions on masks and reopenings yet their states fail to make the hot list.

Edited to add: Think I'm kidding, the following from the NYTimes.

Health Officials Had to Face a Pandemic. Then Came the Death Threats.
  • edited June 2020
    If only we'd stop all of this testing there wouldn't be any problem at all and we wouldn't have to worry about the damned masks and stuff.

If only we'd stop counting all of those fake votes then we'd have the biggest most fantastic win in the history of this great nation.

If only we'd stop listening to those damned scientists the world would stop warming and everything would be just fine.

If only...
  • Public health officials do not get pay much while they carry heavy responsibility to the health of general public. Can't believe they have to face physical treats. Hate to teachers these days.

We have friends who have recovered from COVID-19 and their health have permanently changed. So we cannot take this virus lightly. As people relax and gather in close environments, transmission rate goes up rapidly.
  • Howdy folks,

"will there be a second wave?". Of course there will be a second wave and just like in 1918/1919 it will be MUCH WORSE than the first wave that we're still experiencing. Even if preventative measures hadn't be politicized, we'd STILL be looking at a much worse second wave due to the nature of the beast when it comes to us humans and particularly to us American's. We've all got a huge civil libertarian streak and we just will not and cannot stay inside this long. We gots to get out. We gots to go to the bar. We gots to see our friends and family.

Add in the politicization of the plague by DT and friends, and it's going to get very, very nasty next winter. Sorry folks, but looking around at all the people not wearing masks and not social distancing (and they probably don't wash their hands the lepers), we're well and truly screwed.

Next winter in America is going to look like the Black Death. Literally, it will be with carts in the streets, 'bring out your dead'.

Sorry. I wish I could be more positive, but look around . . .

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • edited June 2020
    rono said:

Howdy folks,

"will there be a second wave?". Of course there will be a second wave and just like in 1918/1919 it will be MUCH WORSE than the first wave that we're still experiencing. Even if preventative measures hadn't be politicized, we'd STILL be looking at a much worse second wave due to the nature of the beast when it comes to us humans and particularly to us American's. We've all got a huge civil libertarian streak and we just will not and cannot stay inside this long. We gots to get out. We gots to go to the bar. We gots to see our friends and family.

Add in the politicization of the plague by DT and friends, and it's going to get very, very nasty next winter. Sorry folks, but looking around at all the people not wearing masks and not social distancing (and they probably don't wash their hands the lepers), we're well and truly screwed.

Next winter in America is going to look like the Black Death. Literally, it will be with carts in the streets, 'bring out your dead'.

Sorry. I wish I could be more positive, but look around . . .

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

Obama assembled a brain-trust of smart financial folks, including Tim Geithner, between election day and the inauguration. They met regularly and planned out actions they could take Day #1 to resolve the crisis. At that point the econ was on life-support. Their advance planning and the highly qualified team assembled helped turn things around. Inauguration Day - January 20. Beginning of greatest bull market in history - March 9. No doubt Biden will follow that model as concerns Covid 19 and be ready to hit the ground running.
  • If (??) Biden wins, science will have upper hand. I am surrounded by Jesus's blood crowd will come back to science when they see the progress.
  • incoherent |ˌinkōˈhi(ə)rənt; ˌi ng-; -ˈher-|
    adjective

1 (of spoken or written language) expressed in an incomprehensible or confusing way; unclear : he screamed some incoherent threat.

• (of a person) unable to speak intelligibly : I splutter several more times before becoming incoherent.

• (of an ideology, policy, or system) internally inconsistent; illogical : the film is ideologically incoherent.
  • I thought it was just me old joe. I have no idea what the king guy said or meant to say. Maybe he will explain.
  • Translation: I am a troll. Ignore me.
  • he just forgot to bundle it

>> ' I am surrounded by Jesus's blood' crowd will come back to science when they see the progress.

but this is nonsense in any case

and the guy has already signaled his opposite sentiment anyway
  • @rono: I’m glad to see you haven’t “lightened up” in your take on how serious this health crisis is. I’m old, cynical, critical, and scornful, yet I just can’t fathom the stupidity of the people in this country. We should never have stopped singing “Stay the F.. at Home,” after it made its debut way back when. “Shut the F... Up” is one rule I try to live with in my marriage. I wish I could get the idiots out there to shut up, but then there’s that nasty First Amendment, that affords its protection to all and sundry. It sickens me (no pun intended) to hear the veep cite the Constitution as a way of saying Americans are entitled to gather regardless of the death toll they are inflicting on all of us. Rex Tillerson’s characterization of the President ought to be carved in stone for all to regard in horror: “He’s a F’n Moron.” Lets erect replacement statues to the morons in our public life, as opposed to the merely racist or treasonous, so that the future generations will contemplate them in shock and awe and change their ways. Fat chance, I know.
  • @BenWP - “Lets erect replacement statues to the morons in our public life.”
    Can’t wait to hear about the DT Presidential library and whose lucky town will curate it.
  • edited June 2020