Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Russia Offered Bounties for Dead U.S. Troops in Afghanistan:

U.S. intelligence officials found that a Russian spy unit secretly offered bounties to militants in Afghanistan for killing American troops. Apparently, Trump and the White House have known for months, but have not authorized any response.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/russia-offered-militants-money-to-target-u-s-troops-report.html

Comments

• The louder the WH denials, the more truthy the underlying narrative/story is.

Relatedly, these guys' video spots are effing timely and always brilliant. They're a fantastic rapid-response comms team. This one is particularly brutal....

• edited June 2020
    Yup and in true form he immediately threw out a "white power" tweet to distract people.
  • There's a simple test to see the extent of white privilege the current president enjoys: Ask yourself what if Obama had done this? I don't think Trump was completely kidding when he said "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters." It makes complete sense he would Tweet a white power message right after this Russia news broke.
  • What ever happened to that part of the inauguration where you swear "to protect our citizens from all enemies, foreign and domestic...." This asshat uses them for target practice in a foreign land, and wastes 127K and counting here on our own soil and shrugs if off like nonsense.
  • edited June 2020
    Hold on a minute! It's simply not true that the "president" did nothing about the Russian effort to do harm to American troops. Why, just the other day he proposed inviting Putin to join the G7 in privileged economic meetings.

Wait... wait... let me think about this for a minute... maybe @kings53man or @FD1000 can help us on this one...
  • Dumb & Dumber
  • It's fascinating how quiet these folks get sometimes.
  • Maybe if you say 'PIMIX' three times.....
    Old_Joe said:

It's fascinating how quiet these folks get sometimes.

• msf
    edited June 2020
    Mark said:

What ever happened to that part of the inauguration where you swear "to protect our citizens from all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

Well, since you asked:-)

That's part of the oath someone elected to Congress (House or Senate) takes. I don't think you're suggesting that Trump run for Congress once he is retired from his current position.

Interesting history:
    During the Civil War, Congress mandated that the oath bar from office anyone who had been disloyal to the Union. Eventually, those elements of the “iron-clad” oath were dropped during revisions in 1868, 1871, and 1884. The oath used today has not changed since 1966 and is prescribed in Title 5, Section 3331 of the United States Code. It reads: “I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.” In contrast to the presidential oath, where it’s used only by tradition, the phrase “so help me God” has been part of the official oath of office for non-presidential offices since 1862.
    https://history.house.gov/Institution/Origins-Development/Oath-of-Office/
    https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Oath_Office.htm

Unlike the oath for Congress, the presidential oath is embedded in the Constitution as Article II, Section 1, Clause 8:
    Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:– I do solemly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.
    https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/article-2/section-1/clause-8/

One other note - the oath is to protect the Constitution which in turn protects everyone, not just citizens.

• Sadly, many politicans consider "taking the oath" just a formality, and don't consider it a binding contract even though they pinky-swear to some dude from literature up in the sky.
  • 20 = 5 Benghazi's
  • I am sure US does the same - mostly very open on terrorists who harms us directly or indirectly but I am sure there are many secret ones. Nothing is fair in this spying game.