Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trump Administration Asks Supreme Court to Invalidate Obamacare

Meanwhile.... https://cnn.com/2020/06/25/politics/trump-administration-obamacare-supreme-court/index.html After all, it's not like we're in the middle of anything that might require more Americans to need healthcare.

Comments

• no words. Gawd, WHEN will we be rid of him? A total P.O.S.
  • Remember - once you die you don't need insurance. Obamacare is too expensive. I will be paying 11,000 US$ for Cobra coverage for my wife on high deductible insurance plan once I leave my cozy company plan. God Bless America.
  • Remember - once you die you don't need insurance. Obamacare is too expensive. I will be paying 11,000 US$ for Cobra coverage for my wife on high deductible insurance plan once I leave my cozy company plan. God Bless America.

Cult Member, your man had 3 1/2 years to either improve on the ACA or replace it with something better. What has he done? Nothing, zilch, zip, zero. If you think that it is expensive now, wait to see the costs if Trump is successful with the Supreme Court. You just don't get it.

Some actually like what the wanna-be "leader" of the free world "brings to the table".

All the more reason to support Medicare For All. But the Orange Abortion just wants to gut and cut.

I can't quite make out what it is you say you'll be buying.

COBRA is an extension of your employer's group insurance. It's just that after you leave your employer, you're the one responsible for virtually the same premiums your employer was paying. COBRA was passed in 1986 under Reagan.

High deductible health plans
    gained popularity somewhat displacing other plans once they were paired with HSAs as part of the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003. That was passed under George W Bush.

If what you're going to be buying is an individual (not COBRA) plan without subsidies, then you're part of a 1%. Only 6% of Americans are covered under a non-government, non-group plan. Of that 6%, 7/8 (87%) get subsidizes..

That leaves 1/8 x 6% or under 1% of the American populace buying unsubsidized individual policies. A minuscule problem, easily addressed by replacing the subsidy cliff (400% FPL) with a graduated phaseout. This has been addressed multiple times in bills introduced by Democrats. IMHO there are good reasons for replacing the ACA with something better, but this isn't one of them.

Perhaps you're considering a short term plan. Under Trump, they can cover you for twelve months, and be renewed for a total of up to 36 months. Be advised that they likely provide scant coverage for COVID-19.

"[W]hile recent federal guidance requires private health insurers to cover COVID-19 testing and cost-sharing for related services, this requirement does not extend to short-term plans." And of course they don't cover preexisting conditions.
    https://www.commonwealthfund.org/blog/2020/age-covid-19-short-term-plans-fall-short-consumers
  • msf
    edited June 2020
    It will take years to document the long-term effects of the novel coronavirus, but early signs have been alarming. One study of hospitalized patients in Wuhan, China, found that nearly 20 percent of those with confirmed cases suffered heart injury.
    See also https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/56413/scientists-just-beginning-to-understand-the-many-health-problems-caused-by-covid-19

The head of the Coronavirus Task Force says it is a good thing that more younger people are getting hit with the disease. So instead of older people having only, say, 10-20 years to worry about residual effects, the new spikes will give people 50 years to experience the long term damage.
    Vice President Mike Pence said that roughly half of the new cases are Americans under the age of 35, which is “at a certain level very encouraging news.”
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/26/coronavirus-task-force-to-young-people-you-will-infect-someone-vulnerable.html
  • The level of utter ignorance is astounding.

• ... and yet the GOP/Tweety has to offer their own "beautiful" replacement for the ACA. Funny how the Mango Mussinini's base seems to forget that.

I still think the ACA would be totally safe if it was not widely known as 'Obamacare'.
  • I keep trying to twist my brain into the dirty tricks arena. So.... I've been thinking that no one needs a replacement plan, all that is necessary is to kill the current plan, rebrand it and bring it back with a few insurance company and tax law changes. Using the current plan with changes you could have a plan without having something many people would sign up for. Example, pre-existing conditions - yes - but with a slippery slope of pricing that eventually makes the requirement a joke.
  • @Anna - do you really want it known as Trumpcare?
  • @Mark - No but branding is everything.;)
    When you have no ideas of your own you find something someone else said or did and rebrand it as your own initiative while twittering insults at the originator.

As to the branding. I admit I don't really care so much about it as I care about America's access to good health care.
  • Those of us who have the luxury of having private insurance don't even think about ACA. For those who have have these insurance would benefit form it especially when they have pre-existing medical conditions. Frankly many of us will incur some health conditions as we age. If there are sustainable improvement over what ACA is today, I am all for it. Problem there are few alternatives to none today. So why take away this opportunity for those who really need it?