Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Trump Digital Operation Isn’t Trying to Win the Election

edited July 2020 in Off-Topic
This piece does a good job of presenting an opinion about Trump's reelection campaign that makes sense to me. After all he is a salesman at heart and is always thinking about his bottom line. The punch line is presented here. The link is a teaser that requires you to get on an email list to get to this punch line. (My personal theory is that he has one foot in the campaign but is using the other foot to prepare for the post-election option presented here.)
As Nicholas Grossman wrote yesterday, Trump is entering the Chapter 11 phase of his presidency where the walls are closing in on him and he stops trying to win the election and starts planning the next scheme while making sure that someone else is left with the bill.

My working theory is that Trump's ads are telling us what that next scheme is. He's tying himself more completely to the base of his base so that he can integrate them into Trump TV or Trumpstagram or whatever venture he's planning for January 21, 2020 (2021).

After all, he's got an installed user base of probably 30 million users who he can start milking the minute he's out of office. That puts him halfway to Disney Plus.

You can't win a national election with 30 million people, but you can control a political party with them. And you can make some pretty serious money with from them while you do it.
https://thebulwark.com/newsletter-issue/the-trump-digital-operation-isnt-trying-to-win-the-election/

Comments

• edited July 2020
    yup. he's an utter putz. Everything is money, and money is everything--- to HIM.
    "...Everything's been sold American." LYRICS: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=lyrics+friedman+sold+american&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

TUNE:
  • Maybe he thinks that if he loses the election he can just declare bankruptcy again, and then keep going as president. He probably didn't bother to read the briefing paper that told him that he can't do that.
  • They don't need to try. Russia is in running the show.

• "They can't get me if I'm locked in my bunker...so there! [tweettweettweet]"
    Old_Joe said:

Maybe he thinks that if he loses the election he can just declare bankruptcy again, and then keep going as president. He probably didn't bother to read the briefing paper that told him that he can't do that.

• An email in my inbox this morning from TheBulwark provides a description of Trump's current election strategy. I might switch #1 and #2 in my personal 4 point list given his day-trader way of analyzing things...
    What is Donald Trump's incentive structure right now? The hierarchy pretty obviously goes something like this:

(1) Win the election.
    (2) Avoid blame for losing the election.
    (3) Bind his voters more tightly to his own person.
    (4) Establish a framework for his next venture.
  • Politicizing MAIL DELIVERY is just beyond the beyond. (Wash. Post, already posted somewhere up on the board here.) No shame. No rails. No boundaries. No conscience. No decorum. I just received an expected item. Postmarked 24 July. Received 31 July. I could have WALKED it quicker, between Massachusetts and Hawaii. Trump is truly Exhibit A of what a real motherlover is.
  • Obama couldn't stop Russians meddling (same on him) but now we have friendly Govt for them to operate freely.

Democrats are stupid. Trump gives so much pointers to them to act on but they are just sitting on behind. If Obama has said what Trump has been doing and saying/lying, Republicans will be all over. Fox network would have started 24 hour campaign.

Thanks to two WH reporters who point blank ask him about his lies and he turned away.

So I strongly believe DT will be OUR next President whether you like it or NOT.
  • Trump gives so much pointers to them to act on but they are just sitting on behind.

A friend of mine reminded me the other day (can't find a source): don't try to kill someone when he's busy committing suicide.
  • to god's ear