Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Noteworthy Leadership Moments in the Coronavirus Fight

edited July 2020 in Off-Topic
Texas Republican Rep. Gohmert Tests Positive For COVID-19 After Rebuffing Masks

Texas Republican Rep. Louie Gohmert, who during the pandemic has repeatedly refused to wear a mask in public, tested positive for the coronavirus illness.

Gohmert confirmed the news from his Capitol Hill office, raising further concerns that he returned there infected from the illness as both chambers of Congress are in session. Gohmert had participated in Tuesday's House Judiciary Committee hearing with Attorney General William Barr, and was seen without a mask near Barr and others. A Justice Department spokeswoman said Barr will be tested for the illness on Wednesday.

"Too many Republicans have continued to act extraordinarily irresponsibly, including Louie Gohmert. Louie Gohmert ought to quarantine himself right now", House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md. said.

In March, Gohmert revealed he was one of several Republicans potentially exposed to the illness at the Conservative Political Action Conference. While many of his colleagues quarantined, he refused.

Note: The above extracts have been edited for brevity.

• I will appreciate comment if you are aware of any inaccuracy or misrepresentation in this information.

Comments

• edited July 2020
    • From The Guardian:

Trump says 'nobody likes me' when asked about Fauci's absence

• The number of coronavirus deaths in the US approached 150,000. Florida marked a record-breaking spike in the death toll, while Los Angeles and Maricopa, Arizona have marked the highest number of cases in the US.

• Donald Trump once again delivered a coronavirus briefing alone, without his leading public health officers. The president complained that top infectious disease expert Dr Anthony Fauci had a higher approval rating, and defended his promotion of a disinformation video.

• Trump and his son Donald Trump Jr both promoted a video featuring misinformation about the coronavirus. Twitter suspended rump Jr’s account for spreading false claims after he shared the video of a doctor falsely claiming that the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine is a “cure” for coronavirus.

Note: The above are unedited extracts from a longer general-news Guardian article.

• I will appreciate comment if you are aware of any inaccuracy or misrepresentation in this information.
  • edited July 2020
    • From The Guardian:

As U.S. coronavirus deaths near 150,000 Trump walks out of his White House coronavirus briefing

President Trump walked out of his White House coronavirus briefing on Tuesday night while in the middle of being challenged about describing as “very impressive” a doctor who claims face masks do not combat the spread of Covid-19 and that the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine is a cure, when federal public health experts have repeatedly said it is proven ineffective for the virus. The same doctor, Stella Immanuel, also publicizes her religious preachings that DNA from aliens is being used in medical treatments, and sex dreams about demons cause some gynaecological problems.

It became clear as the event descended into the president touting medical misinformation that Trump’s somewhat more serious approach to the pandemic, on display at briefings last week, had not lasted.

Earlier in the week, social media companies took down an online video featuring the doctor and other supposed experts recommending hydroxychloroquine, but not before the clip was shared millions of times, by the president on Twitter and touted as a “must-watch” by his son, Donald Trump Jr.
    Note: The above extracts were very slightly edited for brevity. Text emphasis added. Image from The New York Times.

• "Trump says 'nobody likes me' when asked about Fauci's absence"

I'm nearly dumbfounded! Possibly the first time he's told the truth while in office.
  • Good point!