Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Any Bets on Joe Biden’s VP Pick?

Comments

• WABAC said:

I'll be curious to read what Old_Joe has to say about her.

She didn't impress me when she was the DA in SF, or the AG for California. But it's not like she was a train wreck. She seems amiable, photogenic, and unlikely to make huge mistakes.

She won't do much to bring out the AOC-Sanders wing. But I don't think those folks are a large part of current calculations.

Bernie seems busy lending support to progressive candidates for the House and Senate. I'm not sure if he's endorsed Alex Morse, the Holyoke, Mass. mayor, who's running against Richard Neal. ..Neal is maybe a shoe-in. (Shoo-in?) just like Ed Boland was: after 800 years, what's 2 more years, eh? So western Mass. kept voting him in. When Springfield Mayor Charlie Ryan ran against Boland, people thought it to be a sacrilege. Anyhow, the timing is more than a little suspicious: Morse had liaisons of a sexual sort with UMass students (main campus, Amherst) while he was an adjunct or hired lecturer. He says he did nothing wrong. He might be legally alright, but he was pretty stupid. ("Don't shit where you eat.") Lately, I've seen him touted by AOC. I wonder how she's liking him NOW.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093565/characters/nm0001156
  • It is not too late to dump Pence and pick Nikki Haley. Senator Harris will destroy Pence in the debate, even more lopsided than the debate between Benson versus Quayle.
  • Crash said:

WABAC said:

I'll be curious to read what Old_Joe has to say about her.

She didn't impress me when she was the DA in SF, or the AG for California. But it's not like she was a train wreck. She seems amiable, photogenic, and unlikely to make huge mistakes.

She won't do much to bring out the AOC-Sanders wing. But I don't think those folks are a large part of current calculations.

Bernie seems busy lending support to progressive candidates for the House and Senate. I'm not sure if he's endorsed Alex Morse, the Holyoke, Mass. mayor, who's running against Richard Neal. ..Neal is maybe a shoe-in. (Shoo-in?) just like Ed Boland was: after 800 years, what's 2 more years, eh? So western Mass. kept voting him in. When Springfield Mayor Charlie Ryan ran against Boland, people thought it to be a sacrilege. Anyhow, the timing is more than a little suspicious: Morse had liaisons of a sexual sort with UMass students (main campus, Amherst) while he was an adjunct or hired lecturer. He says he did nothing wrong. He might be legally alright, but he was pretty stupid. ("Don't shit where you eat.") Lately, I've seen him touted by AOC. I wonder how she's liking him NOW.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093565/characters/nm0001156
    That's a little deep in the weeds for a guy that has lived west of the Mississippi his entire life. The last forty-five years have been way out west.

I have heard about the Morse scandal. But I'm more aware of the Kennedy-Markey race.

Sanders and AOC are certainly two more New York politicians on my RADAR.
  • Getting back to investments, maybe Biden's picking Kamala is supporting the markets. She's super close to Silicon Valley, so it's a sign that a Biden administration won't crack down on the tech giants.
  • expatsp said:

Getting back to investments, maybe Biden's picking Kamala is supporting the markets. She's super close to Silicon Valley, so it's a sign that a Biden administration won't crack down on the tech giants.

Multiple factions in both parties are gunning for Big Tech.

I think it's currently about forty-eight state's attorneys general that are currently suing Google. Harris isn't going to change that.

I don't see Biden, or Harris, bucking the tide on the recent decision in California that gig drivers are employees.

It is too bad that Harris didn't stand up to the gigsters the way Becerra has.
  • @WABAC
    Well, since you asked- I believe that you've said it very well- I can't improve on "She didn't impress me when she was the DA in SF, or the AG for California. But it's not like she was a train wreck. She seems amiable, photogenic, and unlikely to make huge mistakes.

She's a product of the local Democratic machine, groomed from the beginning to rise to the DC levels. Interestingly, Willie Brown, our former mayor and a very astute and professional politician, opined a few days ago that she would be better placed as Biden's AG than as VP. He felt that with her training, background, and experience she could be very active and effective as AG, as compared to the relative backwater of the typical VP.

We shall see.
  • edited August 2020
    @Old_Joe Better as AG than VP? I think so. I said elsewhere that I'd have preferred Stacey Abrams for VP. But I think uncle Joe (Biden) sought a particular sort of gravitas which Harris brings. Joe pledged during the debates to pick a woman running-mate. I forget whether he pledged to choose a black woman. But the other side of her family is from India. That will attract yet another strata of votes, I'd bet. The symbolism can't be ignored. And if elected, Obama and then Biden, side by side, will be seen as the ones ushering in a truly 21st century USA. I look forward to some actual leadership again. I don't look forward to the accelerated pace of political correctness which I figure will ensue. That whole thing is already "beyond the beyond." A favorite Irish expression.
  • Old_Joe said:

@WABAC
    Well, since you asked- I believe that you've said it very well- I can't improve on "She didn't impress me when she was the DA in SF, or the AG for California. But it's not like she was a train wreck. She seems amiable, photogenic, and unlikely to make huge mistakes.

She's a product of the local Democratic machine, groomed from the beginning to rise to the DC levels. Interestingly, Willie Brown, our former mayor and a very astute and professional politician, opined a few days ago that she would be better placed as Biden's AG than as VP. He felt that with her training, background, and experience she could be very active and effective as AG, as compared to the relative backwater of the typical VP.

We shall see.

Willie, being Willie, also made the point that Veep is a dead end for those that aspire to be president. But that's only if the pres serves the full term.

When I was still living in The City there was an Examiner columnist that made the point that San Francisco often reminded him of high school. And that could certainly be true about the politics of The City.

Gavin Newsome is another example of that. I don't think he ever held a real job other than being a clerk in the Getty kid's wine shop.

Our friends that still live in town tell us things have changed a lot since the tech bros have moved in.
  • @WABAC- Yes, sir- I'd certainly agree with you on all of that also. So far I'm pretty happy with Mayor Breed. She seems competent and reasonably capable of keeping the ship afloat.
  • @Sven: You commented, "It is not too late to dump Pence and pick Nikki Haley. Senator Harris will destroy Pence in the debate, even more lopsided than the debate between Benson versus Quayle. ''

Has this ever happened before , where a VP is dropped for a new running mate ?
    Stay Safe, Derf
  • Ever hear of Hannibal Hamlin?
  • Also Henry Wallace and John Nance Garner
  • Eagleton, with McGovern, in favor of Sergeant Shriver. But they were not in office. That switch was made during the campaign.
  • Harris may not be even born American as our Supreme leader President Trump said in an interview on Fox network . I don't know if that is a precondition for VP, I know it is for the President. She may be disqualified before the debate with VP Pence.
  • edited August 2020
    Jayzum Frikkin Christ. I dunno whether to laugh or weep. From out of THIS White House, anything is possible. He will say and do ANYTHING. He owns no conscience. He is a nightmare caricature of a human. See my latest post about him starving the P.O. deliberately, to purposely delay delivery and counting of mail-in votes. DURING A PANDEMIC.
  • edited August 2020
    Keep it civil. Remember the wisdom of Desiderata ...

“As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.”

Desiderata
  • what he said
  • Harris may not be even born American as our Supreme leader President Trump said
    Here we go again with birtherism conspiracy by you know who...
    https://theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/birtherism-and-trump/610978/

Senator Kamala Harris was born in Oakland, California.

@Derf, not that I know of when the candidate is in the office and campaigning at the same time.
  • @Crash: As you are well aware, the great majority of the MFO posters share your perspective. Lowering yourself to the level of those who make ignorant comments such as the one above accomplishes nothing. If they had the ability to look up the actual facts, or the intelligence to understand them, they wouldn't make such silly comments to begin with. Just ignore them and let them continue to make fools of themselves.
  • not that I know of when the candidate is in the office and campaigning at the same time

Trump started campaigning for reelection even before he was in office. So if "campaigning" is the metric, he could never change running mates while not campaigning.

Trump’s Midwest swing today [December 1, 2026] is the unofficial kickoff of his 2020 reelection campaign
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2016/12/01/daily-202-trump-s-midwest-swing-today-is-the-unofficial-kickoff-of-his-2020-reelection-campaign/583f082be9b69b7e58e45f23/

Wait until he is nominated. Until then, he's just a presumptive candidate.
  • Derf said:

@Sven: You commented, "It is not too late to dump Pence and pick Nikki Haley. Senator Harris will destroy Pence in the debate, even more lopsided than the debate between Benson versus Quayle. ''

Has this ever happened before , where a VP is dropped for a new running mate ?
    Stay Safe, Derf

Harry Truman
  • hank said:

“As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.”

Desiderata

There's a blast from the past.

Seem like that cut was always followed by Knights in White Satin
  • One of the great What Ifs of American history, IMHO, is what if Lincoln hadn't replaced Hamlin with Andrew Johnson. Then, if Lincoln were still assassinated, a pro-Reconstruction VP, in line with Lincoln's own thinking, would have taken office, instead of the Southern Unionist Andrew Johnson.
  • hank said:

Desiderata

y'all know the story behind this 1920s drivel, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiderata
  • edited August 2020
    Interesting background info about Kamala Harris. It sounds like she probably has a broad-minded religious perspective.
    She was raised on Hinduism and Christianity.

Her name, Kamala, means “lotus” in Sanskrit, and is another name for the Hindu goddess Lakshmi. She visited India multiple times as a girl and got to know her relatives there.

But because her parents divorced when she was 7, she also grew up in Oakland and Berkeley attending predominantly Black churches.

She is married to a Jewish man.

Harris now considers herself a Black Baptist.
    https://sltrib.com/religion/2020/08/12/faith-facts-about-bidens/

• rsorden said:

Typical dimwit DemocRAT pick...pandering for the black & female vote. This after she called him a racist & all kindsa things during the debates....funny how that all works. She's no dummy, she knows if creepy senile Joe wins that she will become president in short order once he's deemed unfit, which should take all of 30 seconds to prove. And then you may as well flush the economy, stock market, and country down the toilet. TRUMP2020!!!

+1 (don't forget she believed his accusers too)
  • It would be nice if we had an atheist or even a deist for a president who believed religion had no place in politics like our founding fathers: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Faiths_of_the_Founding_Fathers
  • you left out your three screamers
  • ....Although it's not an ironclad, "A=B connection:" her marriage to that Jewish fellow is why she has been with those supporting Israel unquestioningly--- unlike Bernie and the others who stand with him. Discouraging. #Free Palestine.
  • >> her marriage to that Jewish fellow is why she has been with those supporting Israel unquestioningly

uh

https://www.jweekly.com/2020/08/11/5-jewish-things-to-know-about-kamala-harris/

it all seems part and parcel, bundled and noncausal, as with so many of us who have been so married